Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Crazy Andy, hutning with a camera.


Hi,
Well it only took 30 hours in a bus seat, 15 hours of flying, 5 monetary currencies, and 3 continents, but I was able to climb up the bottom slopes of an old volcano (15,000 feet), thru a lush rain forest to visit 16 gorillas for an hour......it was really amazing. This is the place that Dian Fossy died trying to protect the gorillas and her grave is on the mountain. The park only recently re-opened several years ago after a brutal civil war and genocide.

As I was sitting taking video of a gorilla, something hit my shoulder and almost rolled into my lap...a little gorilla...I don't know who was more scared.

Now I'm back in Kigali, the capitol of Rwanda, and staying in a nice hotel.....well, the room is an extension of the nice hotel....I get the beautiful breakfast buffet, but stay across the street for a bargain rate of 18 bucks a night...Kigali is not cheap.

I hadn't fully read my guide book and missed the section that stated "feel lucky if you get running water in this class of hotel"....well it wasn't my lucky day...or lucky 3 days. When I tried to flush the toilet in the shared bathroom...mosquitoes flew from the stagnant water in the bowl above the toilet.

But, the breakfast buffet is really nice and the hotel staff bring a warm bucket of water to bath with in the morning and the toilets in the main hotel are very nice.

Sincerely,
Andy

No comments: