Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Lineage


This is my Grandfather, Clyde McKinley Campbell. He was born in Michigan and moved to Connecticut where he met my Grandmother and got married. There he raised field trials dogs and hunted on a regular basis as all cool Grandfaters did. This picture was taken Thanksgiving day sometime in the 40s out on the family farm in Kent. It appears that he folded a nice fat pheasant that day with some help from his dog, Duncan City Boy.

In 1940 he had the joy of a wonderful baby girl come into his life. This little girl would someday get married to a fine Italian guy and they in turn would have two sons. This is where I come into the picture. A dorky kid from Cheshire. I attended Cheshire High School, where in 1982 I met a troubled asthmatic kid who liked to fight above his ability, Fred G. Much later Fred and I formed the storied and world renowned HOY7 hunting team.

This brings us to day six.

On day six I had great reaction time and folded a duck at the old new spot. It landed in the water and slowly floated away from the point at which I could retrieve it. The wind and tidal influences took the downed duck all the way across the river to an area which I could not get to. After a feeble attempt to cross the river I was thwarted by high water over the giant hole in my waders and my fear of drowning. Dwayne, as we named him, died an unnecessary death.

I told this sad story today because I'm sure my Grandfather would not be pleased with my hunting skills. I learned something today. Don't shoot beyond your ability to get your duck. Always wear the waders without the giant hole. And finally, I need a good dog. Rest in peace Dwayne.

GBCH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Touching...Sniff...Sniff