Monday, November 12, 2007

Retribution?




From last year:


On day six I had great reaction time and folded a duck at the old new spot. It landed in the water and slowly floated away from the point at which I could retrieve it. The wind and tidal influences took the downed duck all the way across the river to an area which I could not get to. After a feeble attempt to cross the river I was thwarted by high water over the giant hole in my waders and my fear of drowning. Dwayne, as we named him, died an unnecessary death.I told this sad story today because I'm sure my Grandfather would not be pleased with my hunting skills. I learned something today. Don't shoot beyond your ability to get your duck. Always wear the waders without the giant hole. And finally, I need a good dog. Rest in peace Dwayne.


I tell this story from last year to tell you this story from this year:

Day five unfolded exactly as planned. With the return of cold and rainy weather to the Willamette Valley the HOY7 Hunting Team set out to the West side of Sauvies island known as Poker Chip. Fred G pulled the impossibly low number of 9 while I pulled 167. Still there were six groups of hunters in front of us, all who seemed to know the wardens, strange. We picked Mud Lake unit #5 and set out in a light rain to set up for the day. After waiting for sunrise we saw some good action and waited for the 60,000 geese to stop flying in front of our guns.

I took a short nap, of course, and Fred G brought down the second duck of the season, a nice hen mallard followed shortly by a Hen Gadwall. The rain was coming in sheets and the wind was blowing hard. The action was fast and furious but being Sauvies and all, the ducks are scared. After a short while I noticed a nice Greenie swimming in our spread. I prepared to jump shoot him and as I broke cover he tried to fly but was wounded with a broken wing. Knowing that there was no good outcome for him I shot him and added him to our days take.

I tell this story because I don't feel all that great about shooting a duck in the water. My teammate reassured me I did the right thing and that this duck did not die in vain. I remembered Dwayne from last year and hope that in some cosmic way this evens our score. I will now return to the Tom Foolery you have come to expect from us here at the HOY7 HT.
GBCH

No comments: