Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I was right! (Or, Day Twenty One)




I was right! I did shoot me a nice fat greenie today*!









*Problem is that my hunting partner Fred G also shot a greenie today. Before I did. Along with 4 other ducks. Damn.


So, today was day 21 and the season is quickly drawing to a close. We left at 5:30 for the old old spot and on the way out decided to try a new area of the Mighty Columbia. We set up out in the willows on the tip of the high water mark, a spot we perhaps should have tried sooner. I was chock full of ideas this morning. A new decoy spread, telling Fred how to build the blind; which I could tell he appreciated, advice on how to use the whistle call he has; which I could tell he appreciated and even ideas about where to sit. Boy I was full of em'. You see I planed to cleanly take over the lead this morning by greasing the first greenie of the year, and in the process become $20 richer.


There were a few fliers in the early morning but after a beautiful sunrise the ducks started coming in earnest. The first kill was all FGM with a double takedown of bluebills. At first there was some disagreement as to who shot the second one but being a team we worked it out. I missed 3 times. Then a fat ole hen mallard got taken, again by FGM. I missed 3 times. After that a big bunch of Greenies came flyin' in and again Fred folded while I missed 3 times. Now at this point I have to say that I was not the happiest guy in the world. Down 4 ducks and out $20 on what is likely the second to last day of the season, not good. So I did what any adult would do: told Fred to shut the hell up and sulked. At this point he shot yet another duck which I can't even remember right now. Oh yea, and I missed 3 times. AAAAAAARGH.

Well the ammo was running low and the day wasn't looking good for old Bob here so there was only one thing left for me to do. Murder the next Greenie that came by. I did. So you see I was right, I folded a greenie today. With that and a totally average but highly delicious sandwich under my belt I have to say that this was clearly the best day of the season. 6 kills for the team and a successful new spot with great hunting. I only wish Fred G could take a nice picture of me with my duck. Sorry folks but I am not afflicted with the "crazy eye" as the picture implies.
Oh, and one other thing. If you ever decide to clean ducks in your garage take a tip from Tony Soprano, put down a nice drop cloth so it doesn't look like that scene from "Carrie".


Thanks for stoping by and remember GBCH.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you think you have much skill by shooting down my brother in law Marcel. I thank you, he was a lazy,
pompous, stale baguette.

You have aided my world of natural selection, leading to the ultimate super greenie who will be immune to the effects of your puny pea shooters.

I poop at you. Poop Poop and again Poop.

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta be in it to win it. Next year Bob could get a boat and a pirate captains hat to go with his greenie.

Bob said...

Those Greenies were from Alaska.
They were not the French Canadian kind we hate sooooo much. Keep your eyes open Greenie, we're gunnin for you