Monday, October 26, 2009

Idaho: Day 3


Day 3 started like no other day before. Expectations were high because I was scheduled to hunt a flooded rice field with a pit blind. We even had to take a boat to get there because it was on the other side of the river and inaccessible to anyone without one. Holy Crap! this is going to be great! It was going to be so good in fact, I called my former hunting partner Fred G. It seems as though Fred has some kind of knee problem. He has Ebola of the knee, Plague to the ACL, Hernia of the patella or some shit like that. Good thing he was self medicating or else he may have made me try to feel bad about the fact that I was going to hunt a flooded rice field. Instead he gave me his blessing and made sure I felt good about hunting without him. (and if you believe that...)

I met Dallas and another co-worker named John at the local IGA and we headed out at 4AM. It was foggy and fairly cold when we put the boat in the water and were led to the take-out spot by another group of affiliated hunters who also had a boat and another spot. We walked to the left like we were told. But due to the darkness and the fog, I think we walked in circles until we were stuck in the mud. At any rate, we were hosed. When the sun finally came up we saw...

I pause at this time to ask a basic cooking question. One that everyone should know the answer to. What is one essential ingredient to making rice, outside of fire? (we all know if fire was necessary that I am the master of the one match fire) If you said 'water' you would be a winner. There was no water anywhere. Now, another question. If you wanted to slay ducks what is one essential ingredient? Good guess. Water. And finally if ducks wanted to fly near you what would they wast to see? Yep, you guessed it, water.

So there it is. Water, water, water. My picture will reflect the conditions we were in that day. We got back in the boat and met the other 3 hunters who were sitting in a mud puddle waiting for duck to fly also. The only thing that made them more pathetic than us is that they stayed and waited. We got back in the boat and left for home where I made it in time to watch the Giants get destroyed but the Cardinals. The Freakin' Cardinals!

Now some would say that it was a waste of a day. But I say to you; it was GREAT. Never feel bad about the opportunity to hunt a new place, to see new things and to slay new ducks. Next time is going to be great. Now let's take this time to wish Fred G a speedy recovery so that he may have his chance to prove to all of us that he is the EXPERT and pray to Heston that I will get there first.

GBCH

No comments: