Wednesday, December 16, 2009

An Epic Battle






Idaho: Day 12.
Let the world know that the Expert title is back in the hands of Bob DaFolder. It was an Epic Battle today, and I have re-claimed the title after a hard fight. Here's my story.

What a difference a day makes. This morning I woke up to the sound of rain on the metal roof of my Idaho home. Rain! I could have been back in PDX on the highway for all I could tell on my ride out to Anderson Lake. The snow and cold of yesterday just a distant memory. What the hell is that all about?

I had decided last night to hunt today because I figured there had to be some ducks out there. Just because they avoided us yesterday did not convince me they are all gone. Dallas was working so it would be just me today and I prepped for the day with more decoys and a plan to hunt the other side of the slough. The rain had changed the landscape considerably. There seemed to be much more open water, a trick of the rain on the ice, and the lake level had dropped a few more inches. I set my blocks in a line down the slough and the receding water gave them the look of swimming against the current. Nice.

Right before shooting time three sets of ducks had flown over my head and the last set had buzzed my blocks looking for a place to land. They settled on the rain covered ice a hundred yards out, (much the way the video below shows) skidding to a stop well out of gunning range. The rain continued and a few divers came to look at the spread, then some geese. I took a shot at the low flying geese and all the ducks out on the water lifted up and flew around looking for another spot. Of course I missed all three shots on the geese. Seems I can't hit a large, slow, low flying target ever. Shortly after that a lone greenie came in from the right. I leveled the Benelli and winged him mid pass. He landed on the ice 30 yards away and immediately made for the open water and away from me. I took 2 more shots to bring him down but was unable to hit him on the surface of the ice, reloaded and then 3 more. By now he was heading towards the middle of the frozen lake and I started after him with my last shell. For Heston's sake, why did I only have 10 shells with me? What an Idiot!

I headed him off to the left and he started towards the end of the slough water that was open. I took my last shot and thought for sure I hit him this time. Nope. He made it to the water and swam back towards my decoys and the spot I shot him at. So now I'm running back to the blind and double checking for any more shells I may have before he is able to swim past me. No more shells so I grab a wading stick and I'm into the water towards him. I winged him good but his duck feet are certainly working just fine. Now he's swimming the other direction and is, of course, much faster than me in the water. I'm up to my chest but then again, so is he.

I'm sure you've seen the cartoon where the chase is on and they are running through the hallway with all the doors? In one door- out the other-repeat-ad infiniteum? Well, that's me and Greenie. He swims to my decoys. I wade towards him. He turns. I get close. He dives under the water and swims past me. I jump out and run down the bank before he can get too far towards the river. He stops and swims the other way. I get in the water and wade towards him. He swims to my decoys. I wade towards him. He turns. I get close. He dives under the water and swims past me. I jump out and run down the bank before he can get too far towards the river. He stops and swims the other way. Get the picture? This goes on for, and I'm not shitting you, 15 minutes.

Well, I've had enough. This time I take off all but my first layer and get back in. By now all the decoys are out of the slough and he can't hide under the icy overhangs anymore. I collapsed them all in. I get to the most shallow part of the slough and it's ON! He dives down and tries to mach past me again but not this time. With Heston like reflexes I dart my arm down 2 maybe 3 feet and grab him by the neck and pull him out of the water. Game over Greenie.

I'm out of shells and wet. Time to call it a day. Of course while the battle wages geese and ducks flew over my head the whole time. The whole time! There you have it, how I got the "Expert" title back and the reason why I only shoot Greenies.

GBCH

2 comments:

Greenie said...

How many ducks do you have? That's what I thought you would say. Please change Expert to Co-Expert, remember I shot a duck last week to take the title, but for now you have tied it. Thanks You.

Greenie said...

Oh and by the way, nice story. Really really enjoyed the fact that you used 10 shells to cil one duck, but overall yes, awesome story, can't stop laughing!!!