Tuesday, December 01, 2009

A Sauvies Classic


I know I know we have all heard it before, we all know why we hate/love Sauvie Days. Do I need to remind us all? Listen, let me get it out okay? Me and Cliffy show up for an afternoon hunt at Sauvies, we have some good choices, we choose Mud Hen 6. "But Fred I have been reading the blog and the harvest report says Johnson Unit is giving it up" you say. First of all you guys just said Johnson Unit, but the answer is yes it was but with out rain the Johnson Unit is dry. We hike out and find 4 guys in number 7 with about 60 blocks in the water plus a jerk string, and they were throwing out some good calls. I'm thinking these guys are good, I'm gonna respect their space, we work our ducks they work their ducks. Until they showed no respect, and while working some ducks in our spread they decide because they have 60 blocks in the water the ducks were working would be better suited in their spread. So they work our ducks over to their spread and they land in the water about 40 yards out in front of them.



THE HATE PART. They proceed to shoot the ducks on the water, they wound three and they fly/swim away in different directions. It's now 3:20 we have a mere 40 minutes left until cil time is up. Below is a picture if the 3 butt heads out in the water searching for their 3 ducks they winged. Click on the picture to see how far out they were. They searched for about 20 minutes out in the water in front of us. Remember the time? Also ducks don't like to land where people are wading, so the ducks we did see were going to have nothing to do with us.





THE LOVE. We love Sauvies cause you are guaranteed to see some ducks. With 10 minutes left we WORK a set of ducks into our spread. I stand and shoot "BAM" one shot and a folded shoveler. Fred G. is on the board! Some pressure is off now but we all know that Bob is lurking. With maybe one more hunt day left for the Portland Chapter things look bleak, Cliffy and I are due for surgeries come middle of the month. Cliffy for his hip and I for my knee. We wish Bob all the best! Maybe he will tell stories of yore to his new and improved hunting buds, we hope. Also with Cliffy out for awhile maybe he could pick a book on photography. I did all I could do with this picture.






1 comment:

cliffy said...

Dude those guys weren't working their ducks! They totally scared off multiple opportunities with all four guys blowing harder than the wind.