Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day One Portland Chapter





Why should this first day be unlike all the rest? Set departure time was 4:30 in the a.m., have to get to the Old Spot early due to the closure of the Old New Spot. Cliffy picks me up this morning a little past 5:00. Load up the truck and we are on the way, a little trepidation as to the swarm of hunters we expect to greet us due to the again because of the closure of the Old New Spot. We arrive and to our astonishment we are the only ones there, this is where I get nervous because we are the H7HT we sometimes get things wrong, I'm thinking to myself "maybe hunting season has not started yet, or better yet maybe today is bring a small child into the woods, for hunting that is". As you can see if was foggy this morning so when we happened upon some water we took it. Andy threw the blocks out and I built a blind a little off shore, so we didn't stick out like a sore thumb I also "planted" some branches all around the blind so as no to stand out. After a few hours of a few gun shots from the distant hunters with boats I'm feeling a chill, expecting the sun to be out I did not plan accordingly with layers and need a walk to warm the trigger finger. I walk down towards The Old New Spot and find a place I think will be better for cover, and along the way scare up a few different sets of mallards. After getting the Expert on the line and get the OK to move we do so. We throw out a few blocks and hunker down in the brush. Well the fog burns off and few mallards fly over a few sammy were had, did I mention that Cliffy thought his whikey bottle would hold more? Well I'm dry now, me bottle it is, me feets are wet, and we decide to pack it up. One of our missions with the H7HT it is to make things easier, well there is Lewis and Clark and then there is Fred G. On the way out I decide to go a different way, usually this goes badly but today it was awesome! I discovered a way to get to the Old New Spot from the Old Spot parking lot! only a mere 15 minute more walk. Along this walk I learned two things no make that three. First, horses get spooked by people they don't know caring guns, dressed in camo and with big packs on, we were asked to stay still on the path and walk backwards. Second, some lesbians don't care for me caring guns in the woods. Went a little something like this: "Sir excuse me excuse me sir!" yes I replied, "I do not appreciate with you walking through the woods with a rifle." She says this to me as I just watched her dog take a shit on the path and not pick it up. So I channel a little Jiggity and in Jiggity voice I reply "listen lady I would never walk through the woods with a loaded gun and I do not APPRECIATE your dog shitting on the path and you just leaving it there." That was day one, a beautiful day with a side of knowledge.

1 comment:

Bob said...

The gun wasn't loaded.......