Monday, October 25, 2010

Idaho: Day Four


Today was a surprise of a day. Dallas called me and rather than going to Montana ('I would like to have seen Montana') he wanted to go hunting again. I was all too happy to oblige. We discussed the merits of both Anderson Lake and the new spot on Killarney and decided to try the morning fly on Killarney. Loading up the little jon boat we headed out before first light to set up on the little point from day 2. The rain fell consistently and there was no breeze.

I took a while but eventually ducks started flying. One large group circled in for a landing and Dallas was a little too excited and shot as they were over our heads. After apologizing many times the next group to come in went better. I had one wet hand halfway inside a wet glove when a group of small ducks came by. They circled once and made the final approach as I told Dallas to take them. He shot and dropped one of the birds while I was still wrestling my glove. The duck was winged and it was great fun to watch Dallas chase him down with the jon boat to the other side of the lake. Not soon after the constant rain and lack of flying ducks conspired to put an end to the day but not before one fat shoveler had been taken. Sweet.
GBCH

No comments: