Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 3.2 Oregon Chapter





Two Down None to Show

The day started at 2:15 this morning. The morning
weather predicted early morning showers turning
into snow showers. Arrived ay Sauvies at about
3am, with a full moon, in line and looking good. After a several hour wait I pull up to the check in station. Several good options but one stands out, I say "I'll take Mud Hen 7" The woman behind the counter says "how about number 9?" I ask why and she informs me that the water there is good now and it's at the end. I walk out with some Hawaiian dude who said he had 9 last week and he limited out. He also mentioned the lack of crap ducks and how the influx of mallards and pintails in the morning fly was up. Visions of grander dance in my head. I throw out my blocks all the way to the left to entice some action at my own "private" end. The hawaiian dude said that the ducks will fly out of the corn field just behind me to the left early beware. The weather was just as predicted, far off in the distance the hills slowly being covered with a blanket of snow, soon the temperature will drop and it will be snowing here as well, much anticipation, the "perfect storm". The hawaiian dude had everything right. At first light the flight was furious, many passes with which I should have have taken some "Sauvies Pass Shots", looking back on it now I should have taken those shots because later in the morning it changed. Mallards and Pintails changed to Widgeons and Gadwalls with a few mallards peppered here and there. Remember I'm at Sauvies, it starts, sky-busting, frustration, my H7HT shooting skills are out the window (see fine Italian Steel video), I see red and they are not dead. In my short time I see four birds shot out of range go down and never and tried to be retrieved. In my short time out there I pumped out 14 shells. I winged two birds the birds greenies cause it was all I was really going for, don't get me wrong if a Widgeon or Gaddy came into my spread feet down I would have taken them, but I'm not going to sky-bust them. So the two birds I winged were coming into my spread, I shot and they were not clean but enough to bring them down slowly. Both times they flew towards the reeds in the middle, that's when the "dudes" across from me decided to shoot and retrieve my birds. REALLY!! The first time I was actually in the water by the time the other "hunter" decided to put a shell into it. "Hey Vern look that duck is coming in real slow I'm going to take it." It'a 10 am, a beautiful morning, lots of flight, a light snow, I have four shells left and not a lot of whikey, hence the 14 shots. Would I go back? Of course I would, there will always be sky-busters, it's beautiful, it has ducks.



No comments: