Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 5.10 Oregon Chapter




Too Much Time On My Hands, (and not enough blood)

Today I didn't even get up to go hunting, I just went, at 11:30 the night before that is. Drove out to Sauvies, me and the Audi crumblier with the heated seats and steering wheel, and found myself in a damn good spot, right next to the crapper. No seriously it's a good spot, you are only maybe 6-8 cars from the front of the line. Settle in and catch up on some well deserved sleep. The morning bell goes off and it's off to the shack to procure my spot on the island, where shall I go today? Being so far ahead in line I'll surely shall have my pick. Well you know what life was not that grand, there were a ton of reservations and when I did make it to the shack I saw Slim Pickins. I was able to secure Hunt 13, which you all know from reading the blog for so many years is a 100 yard walk with your own little end of a pond,
quite nice really. Because of the short walk I had a lot of time to sit and wait until the killing bell goes off. It was then I felt a little irritated, I sat and thought " was I coerced into picking Hunt 13 so that the official in the booth may give a better blind to one of his buddies?" Because when I reached the shack I asked "hey where would you go? how about that Racetrack 6?' To which the dude replied, "Well I wouldn't take that Racetrack over a Hunt, and that Mud Hen is really far out there." "I would take Hunt 13, the water is up it looks good." Well in years past it seemed to me that Racetrack was always a solid spot, for god sake I've never hunted there because there are not any available ever. So now I'm thinking he's saving the spot for his buddy who decided to sleep in this morning and roll in at 6 am., or not maybe he's giving me good advice. The morning before cill time was awesome! birds whistling by at mach 7 just what you want to see and hear. Believe it or not but a Sauvies day turned into a Sauvies day, minus the bounty of scared shitless birds. Ducks were almost as scarce as the number of birds Cliffy has slayed all year, and the ones that did fly trough were Busted. The Ducks won this fight today, you see it's been raining here, a lot. Every farmers field is flooded and when I drove home I saw that every farmers fields were filled with ducks and geese, they didn't need our silly little ponds to hang out in, they could do it anywhere. So as the report read the next day, my man in the booth was putting me on some good info. Racetrack had zero birds that day and the Hunt unit Sky Busted 13.
Do I trust them now? Hell no! "Okay lets have number 1,2,5,and 8 up to the window please."


1 comment:

Bob said...

Have we ever cil'ed anything at Hunt 13?