Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fly fishing trip part 4






The Cans.

As you may or may not know, there is always the can competition on our fabled fishing trip. Who is the best at shooting cans with the BB gun? I am. Bob DaFolder. Me.
Of course there will be some debate as to the validity of that statement but I will state my case here in this forum.

After a short float (due to the high water) down the mighty Deschutes river we set camp in the same spot we have camped for the last 3 years. This time there were other campers at our spot. They looked like some kind of outfitter set up as they had massive tents with a full kitchen and about 20+ people milling about waiting for their Chateau Bri
on and 1972 Beaujolais. We had other tricks up our sleeve. Anyway, Cliffy stepped to the plate when Fred G asked if we should be shooting the BB gun with other campers so close by. I can't remember the exact wordage but I think it was something like "Yep".

The first can went out. According
to the rules you have to shoot all the cans on the course, shoot in a certain order, or complete a task to set another can. It goes like this until the rules become so complicated that nobody can remember, or somebody has to do a shotgun. It seems that about 10 cans is the limit for a given course. We had a fine one this year. If memory serves we had "easy peezy", "spinny", "long shot", "5th and Burnside", "Stella", "I hate that can", "Tom" and many more. Actually, I don't really remember any of them other than "easy peezy". But you get the idea. Needless to say we all ended up doing a shotgun or two and shot many cans. Of course being the photographer nobody had the good sense to get a picture of me doing a shotgun, but rest assured mine were cold and delicious. About 30 pictures were taken of the course, a small sampling shown here, and I think it may well be the highlight of the trip.

Now before you think that this is just the drunken musings of 3 good ole' boys out on a fishing trip, I challenge you to grab the BB gun in your garage and start a can course. That's right, it's the best fun EVER. Well, the shotguns were ice cold and the the light faded as Cliffy bowed out. Seems that he was just getting ready for the next mornings fishing. Fred G and I broke out the headlamps for some extra difficulty marksmanship skills. Once again I'm not sure who won the competition but I must believe that it was me. I am 'The Expert' after all. Strangely enough our neighbors to the south never asked if they could join in the fun. Pusses.

GBCH

1 comment:

Greenie said...

there may not be any photos of you doing any shotguns, but the photography of the events is amazing. Just look at the way you caught the Uni Bomber doing a shotgun and the droplets of water running down his hand...wait that's me!