Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Riding The Clack




Today is a dismal, overcast, marine layer, chilly day.  Nothing better than jumping on the Duc and head East my friend.  Have not been to the Clack in about two years.  The "Clack" or Clackamas River is a beautiful windy river with and average highway running along side of it. The Clackamas River arises on the western slopes of the Cascade range near Olallie Butte, between Mount Hood and Mount Jefferson in the Mount Hood National Forest. Flowing generally northwest and then west for about 83 miles, it joins the Willamette River at Gladstone.  The river falls nearly 4,900 feet between its source and it's mouth. The Ride started off pretty uneventful then turned to near death and kidney crushing debauchery.  As I'm riding usually I don't take a lot of pictures, I'm trying to change that, stopping and starting at high speeds sucks.  I saw some beauty and needed a picture, so I stopped.  I wanted to take a picture of the river from a bridge, picturesque right?  Well there were 5 kayaks in the water shooting the rapids as you could see, but note the one in back, the red one, upside down, upside down for what seemed to be 30 seconds or more.  His buddies didn't realize their buddy was drowning, so I called out "Hey I think your buddy is in trouble!"  After a few more goes he is able to bail out.  When he got to the edge he was not elated "woohoo did you guys see that?"  He was you could tell scared shitless.  Remember the story of the time a boy named Tommy saved my life?  I think it was the same for him.  The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful except for the 7 mile dirt road someone sent me down.







No comments: