Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Let's Ride




Willapa Bay view from South Bend
Today my ride took me to the east bank of Washington to a small town of South Bend.  It wasn't a twisty ride but a scenic one.  I started on West Side Highway, a road that runs parallel to I-5 on the East side and  along a river and through the woods, woods decimated by logging. Before you start "how ugly" it was kinda cool.  Don't we all live in homes made of wood? some made of logs? stuff has to come from somewhere. I reached South Bend in about two hours, about 125 miles.  When I arrived I was shocked to find a small hamlet. A three bar town with small restaurants serving fried oysters, clam chowder and dungeness crab.  It reminded me of a small town on Cape Cod.  It's a town of some 1,700 located on the Willapa River in the heart of timber country and home to major seafood processors.  It's where we get our clams and some of our oysters from for the restaurant. Can't wait to get back and dive into some chowder and fried oyster.


 

No comments: