Friday, September 09, 2011

Lore

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hip Hip?

It's the day before Cliffy has to go under the knife, so of course the best thing for him is a full day of slaying, a good bottle of whikey, a pack of smokes and a delicious sammy. We rise and shine at about 4:30 have a small breakfast, sprain both of my thumbs, pack the truck and head out. Remember it has been cold and the decision was lets hit The Old New Spot. We're on ole interstate 84 and almost to Troutdale when the big sign says "Highway Closed At Toutdale" which means no way of getting to the Old New Spot. We stop and ask the guy sitting in the truck, making double time cause it's Sunday, "when do they think the highway will be open?" He says they are going to evaluate it at about 8 am. Slightly befuddled Cliffy and I head back to the casa thinking that we will just go home get a little more sleep and then head back at about 7:30. A few exits down I remember that we could actually make it to the Old Spot if we drive through the town and take the back roads. I must admit the roads were a little scetch, but Cliffy and his expert driving got us there only to find, of course, 6 more trucks already there. Never the less we pack up and head up, Cliffy is not too psyched, his fine backpack frame the rest of the team had bought him for his birthday was still home in the corner of his room. This meant a very unpleasant walk out. (not to mention he had also packed a chair in his pack, while I was going commando.) After the long walk we find the Old Spot to be completely frozen over, although very beautiful not very hunt able. Being the expert that I am, I know the area like the back of my hand. I give the orders and we're off, within minutes I have us on a nice spot with open water. Cliffy threw out the blocks and I made a blind. Just before the opening bell a few greenies fly over our heads, it seems to be a promising day. After a hour or so we see nothing, I decide being their Expert leader I have to lead by example. If it aint happening make it happen is my motto. I'm going to take a walk and flush some ducks up or do some good ole pass shooting. I make it about a 1/2 mile down the slough and find a lone block washed up on shore, I could use him I thought. I picked him up wrapped up his string and called him Lucky. On my walk down I notice some ducks jumping and landing down by the Old New Spot. Since the highway is still closed there are no other hunters down there. What the heck I think I make it down to the awesome blind I used last week and through out Lucky. I sit and wait, and wait some more. Nothing. After searching for my lighter and missing my bottle, I decide to hike back to the blind. I wade out wrap up his string and 2 greenies are flying right at me over my head. I drop Lucky and unload the Benelli. Nothing, I heard laughing and I think they even said "you don't call that block Lucky, you call him Shithead." I pick up Shithead and head back. I find Andy in the blind and it's all lit up and the blocks are now on dry land. My wisdom brought us back to the truck, we ate the awesome sammys I made, packed up and we were on our way to the Old New Spot, our day was not over yet. It's now 12 in the afternoon, we get to the highway, still closed. We go home.

No comments: