Thursday, September 22, 2011

Macks to the Mouth: Day 2




Day 2 was everything and more. We awoke at 5:30 am and made a batch of coffee from Extracto beans in a french press. I put my waders on, poured some coffee into my cup, grabbed my rod and waded out downstream of camp. With my coffee cup attached to my wader belt, I lit up my morning smoke and started casting. It was good to be in the water again swinging flies, drinking coffee, smokin'. By 9:40, I had covered some good water with no takes. I decided it was time to make breakfast. I fired up Joe's two burner stove, turned the heat down, and put the griddle on to heat up. I buttered that griddle up, threw some bread on and got it toasted. Then I put the ribeyes on and seared that shit 'till med rare followed by 2 eggs per, over easy. Oh hello there, what are you in my cup? Bloody mary. While eating, we watched Big Horn Sheep scamper the hillsides. Damn, what a good morning. After breakfast, dishes and quite a few more bloody mary's, I rocked out the nymphing rod, packed up another bloody mary and headed upstream to some riffles while Brian and Joe headed for some more sleep. The weather was turning out to be perfect. No wind and cloudy. I fished that riffle hard with no luck and decided to head downstream to another set of riffles that I scoped out earlier in the morning. Just as I round the bend, I spot another fisherman already there. No worries I thought, I wanted to cast Brian's spey rod for a little bit anyways, then I'll head down. About 20 casts later, fish on. After a 10 minute battle, I put a rock to the head of a 26" hatchery steelhead. A little on the small side, but hey, could be smaller. Half cocked from morning and afternoon cocktails, I woke the boys to celebrate as I gutted the fish. The rest of the day we pretty much just chilled out, played crib, napped, threw a spinner here and there from our beach chairs and had hot dogs for dinner.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Sweet! Club that invader from the city right in its pea brain. Hatchery fish are dumb.