Saturday, September 17, 2011

Nestucca River Back Country Byway







Ah the last days of summer are upon us. Wednesday I decided to ride the Nestucca river.  With a chill in the air and a over cast sky I headed towards Tillamook via rt 6 which follows the Wilson river, it's a great road with long sweeping turns. I actually had to stop and buy some thermals.  From there I jumped onto 101 south and made a quick stop at Cape Lookout.  Made way down to a small town of Beaver and jumped onto the Nestucca River Road. I followed the 50 mile river the through a wooded canyon. The river has been designated an Oregon State Scenic Waterway. The canyon is lined with weathered cliffs made of seafloor sandstones and basalts. The walls are covered by lichens, worts, and mosses. The woods lining the canyon is a temperate rain forest because it rains 120 inches annually. The area is considered one of the richest biomasses in the world. The first 1/3 was quite enjoyable, very scenic, road in great condition and great turns.  The middle 1/3 on the other hand was not my type of road plus 3 miles of it are not paved, I knew that going into it.  15 mph turns back and forth mixed in with sparingly 35 mph, shifting up and down up and down.  My bike is not geared for that so it got a little monotonous.  The last third was just like the beginning very enjoyable.  The trip was also a scouting trip for fishing.  I read that the river is a great river for Steelhead, but that must be more towards the mouth of the river bellow Tillamook because all I saw was some fine trout fishing.  All in all it was a nice trip, I would do it again, but maybe on a Sunday afternoon in a car with a nice lunch.  




No comments: