Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day One Oregon Chapter











It felt like no other opening day when I awoke.  My head was clear and I slept through the night.  I was fresh!  It was a new first day in almost every way, first like I said I was fresh, also we walked to a new first day hunting area, and the water was perfect and we actually saw more than 2 ducks. Did I forget to mention that shots were taken...ON DAY ONE! We walk out to a spot we scoped out a few weeks ago, when we saw it a few weeks ago the water was very disappointingly low.  But much to our surprise when we emerged from the woods the water was way up, not way up bad but way up good.  We had the perfect spot, a very small peninsula and we were able to throw blocks out around us.  They looked good.  I put together some shrubbery to conceal us, and we looked good.  After a few hours of high fly-bys Cliffy decided it was time for the first warm up walk of the year.  I'm thinking to myself this is it, I got the house to myself!  PARTY!  Cliffys gone not 5 minutes and a Merganser fly's into the spread at mach speed just out side the spread, all leery and shit, giving me the "what you looking at" eye.  I'm trying to tell him the party is over here in every language I know.  Nothing.  Sure enough Cliffy is walking back up the slough and scares the merganser up and she flys away.  "Cliffy did ya see that merganser out there?" I ask, "No where?" he replies.  Cliffy sits down we dig into a  few delish sandwiches of grilled pork tenderloin, with homemade wild plum BBQ sauce and a brussels sprout slaw.  Must say the flavors were going round and round in the mouth.  Well would you not believe it, that merganser wanted a bite too!  It flew in again looking for a free meal, free meal of steel that is.  Cliffy take him I said, we both jump up to entice this bird to fly away, it does.  Two shots are taked, two tuff flying away shots,  Merganse-1/ H7HT-0.  A short time later it is announced "I thought this flask held more?!"The international phrase that means "time to pack it up".

No comments: