Monday, October 03, 2011

Idaho: Day 1


Finally! After months of waiting the 2011 season has started. Here's how it went.

I didn't sleep well, for openers, constantly waking up to look at the clock and see if it was time yet. I had all my gear lined out and ready to go so when I did get to wake, it would all be ready. As you know the H7HT is always prepared and nothing ever goes wrong on opening day*. I left the house at 4:15 and made it to Anderson with just enough time to set up and settle in. Two minutes extra to be exact. The bell went off and immediately 20 Drake Mallards flew right over my head and turned into the wind to touch down in the middle of my spread. I put my gun to my cheek and...

I can't lie. None of that happened, at least not right away. It's almost 50 degrees for Heston's sake and here in Idaho we have had only one frost so far. One. Those ducks were perfectly content to stay in Canada where they have no morals. The local ducks did make an appearance but only to fly by a few times. Still, even with the minimal number of ducks I did have a moment of greatness. About 1 hour into a beautiful morning a set of 5 bombed my decoys from behind and turned for another look. They cruised by a second time but saw me moving from one spot to another and bolted. Totally my mistake. A few sets were high flyers off in the distance and a lone Hen Mallard landed about 60 yards away and commenced to make a racquet while enjoying a nice meal. Geese flew by on a regular basis, I had a long necked diver for company for about an hour and 8 Brandt flew in a graceful path right in front of me.

Some days this would be disappointing but today it was great. Just being back in the blind again watching and waiting for the right moment when it all comes together, well, it was enough to wash away the stress of 2 weeks of work. (Screw you Old Men in Goofy Pants.) I also look at today as a chance to learn from my mistakes;
Leave the house 15 min earlier
Don't sit in the sun
When reconsidering the chair, bring the chair every time
Remove the wire that shorts out your headlights on rough dirt roads at 5am.
Bring a warm hat
And finally, would it kill you to bring a snack for the ride home?

There you have it. Day 1
GBCH


*(does not include every other opening day ever.)

1 comment:

Greenie said...

soon my friend soon