Sunday, October 09, 2011

Idaho: Day 2


The forecast called for rain and colder temps. I was ready. Taking all my learning from last time out I arrived 15 minutes earlier to my spot on Anderson lake with time to spare. I did not remember to have a shell ready for the Cougar on the walk out but still somehow made it to the point OK. I set my blocks and with a light rain falling, waited for the bell to ring.

It didn't take long before the first ducks flew over my head in the pre-dawn darkness. My decoys were further out and I brought along the wind powered spinning wing decoy that Dallas had left at my house from last year. The damn thing was a hindrance more than a help due to the low wind conditions but I adjusted it the best I could. I waited. I called. I waited. Ducks have started to fill the wetland sanctuary just on the other side of my hunting spot. I can now hear them greeting the morning about 200 yards away but they are in a protected area and nobody can hunt there. I think they know this.

About 20 minutes in a couple of Teal or Buffleheads made a swooping pass over my spread and got the old heart beating pretty good. I thought about taking a shot just to get the first $5 of the year for first duck but soon realized that I was not prepared for cleaning and eating 1/2 oz of not so tasty duck breasts. I'm waiting for Greenie. The morning progressed and the rain stopped and the only ducks I saw were high flyers and some ducks that landed in the protected area to my left. I thought about pulling up and leaving.

Just then 3 or 4 mallards flew in a beautiful arc around my blocks and started quacking like they wanted in. I called and pretended to be a bush that in no way threatened their well being but they made a quick pass and headed for the north end of the lake. Heston! After another uneventful hour, the rain and cold gone, I pulled my blocks and left for home. Happy to be hunting but sad not to be cil'n, I still feel good about the day. A day of beautiful scenery and good spirits. Next time is going to be great. Monday is Columbus Day. Maybe killin' for Columbus is order. We will see, stay tuned.
GBCH

1 comment:

Greenie said...

dude you have lots of knowledge, i'm already learning from you, i will use some of this knowledge this weekend when i slay!