Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Idaho: Day 9+5


So yesterday the pressure is on. I'm sitting well back in the duck count and I feel the need to slay not just some ducks, but some Greenies. I finally had a chance to go to the point by my lonesome. Not that I enjoy hunting alone, I do, but hunting by myself affords me the greatest chance to work the magic and bring the ducks in ready to land and showing me their fat bellies. I was ready.

Big Betty is running like crap but I knew she would not let me down on this trip. Warm and clear in the morning makes for bad hunting conditions but good driving. We left early and it was a good call. The blind on the point was destroyed by the recent mega-windy conditions and after I set a nice decoy spread in the low waters I did a $54,986 remodel on the blind, I was ready. I even set a couple confidence decoys on a half submerged log and topped it off with the rotisserie decoy in a prime spot. It was calm and warm, too warm.

Ducks flew in the pre-shooting minutes and I drew a bead on them just to be ready when the time came, 6:38 to be exact. as it turned out I was just putting my nose to the floor and smelling the food as the old saying goes. Nothing flew that morning. In 3 hours I saw only two sets that held promise. One lone Greenie flew low directly into my spread and then flared when the rotisserie scared him. Maybe they are onto that trick and I am learning that calling could be more of a hindrance than a attractant. No birds were to be mine that day.

On the plus side I saw an amazing sunrise over the hillside and the calm was nice to be a part of. Next chance to hunt may be with Willie my coworker and friend who has a dog that should be exposed to 'birdieness'. Chances are that he will be more like a "turd in the punchbowl" (still no winners on the reference) but I still look forward to introducing another person to the H7HT experience. Time will tell. Stay tuned.


GBCH

No comments: