Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Oregon Chapter Day Four




The day started off the night before.  Andy having to work triple time at work left me by myself.  I decided to hit the island after work in order to procure a great spot in line on the East side.  Sometimes you enjoy the single hunting days, your failure and success is yours and yours alone.  I arrived in line at about 10 pm I was 19th in line, not great but not bad.  Sleep was unrestful in the truck, in and out of conciseness not sure if you are sleeping, dreaming about sleeping, dreaming about being awake or just plain awake.  Time to move, I get to the shack and not much left, only roaming units which are not that bad.  I secure a Footbridge, small patches of corn with small to large water in front, never having hunted there I was actually psyched.  I found the unit with ease keeping with the no F ups this year.  I throw out my blocks and there actually the correct type, relaxed and safe looking, I had a long narrow stretch of water in front of me and my blocks looked as though they landed there because it is safe of all the shooting and calling going on, a great place to chill.  The morning on Sauvies did not bring a brilliant sunrise it was overcast with light showers, only needed a little wind to make it perfect.  It's Sauvies morning fly is going off, I need another set of eyes, it's then I miss my team, screw this hunting by yourself.  Two fly by's and looking back on it now I should have taken the shots.  Damn!.  I'm waiting for my shot, I'm not even wearing my calls I don't want to be tempted I swore today I'm going to sit silent let everyone else make the noise.  A shoveler duck flys in bead on it, I pull off, I don't want a shoveler I'm here for one thing and one thing only.  Another shoveler this time easier, I and here for not him but his leader.  After a few hours it quiets down, high fly by's of pintails a few mallards here and there and tornados of geese.  I hear a ruckus there is a man pushing a huge cart down the slough, he's now in front of me, he stops to chat.  Blah blah blah my name is Keith, I ask Keith what the hell is that big contraption is in his cart, he tells me to sit tight soon enough I will see what it is.  Keith makes his way down the slough and proceeds to set up this roto duck on a 12 foot pole, it looks crazy.  Within minutes the thing is spinning like crazy, he's calling.  In 20 minutes he folds three of these high flying ducks I was just complaining about, complaining that it seems impossible to bring them down low.  The worst of it all was Keith is a buster,  he was shooting ducks so far away and over covered marsh that would make it impossible to retrieve, 2 of the 3 ducks he could not retrieve.  He barely tried.  Frustration.  I waited a few more passes, and watched as he continued to shoot out of range.  Listen, if you want to lug in the biggest spread with roto deeks and you make my 10 blocks look silly, more power to ya, as long as you hunt for hunting.  Before Keith arrived I was hunting, enjoying myself, I committed by getting my ass up early, not even up early, the night before, to get a great spot in line.  Why?

The rest of the day got worse, if you could believe it.  The Fins lost another lead to the GMEN.  Which meant 2/3 of the team are losers.




No comments: