Monday, December 26, 2011

I think I broke my nose


Well, first off, I would like to congratulate Bob (a little late) for joining the 'Green Team'. I wasn't worried one bit considering you have so many Expert titles under your belt. This morning started out unlike our past mornings. I arrive to Fred's and low and behold, he's carrying two guns out to my truck. This could mean only one thing, E-7 is coming out with us. But, where is E-7. We text, we wait. Nothing. After a long 10 minutes, we cruise. We get out to the parking lot and there's a few cars by the bathroom and only one by the path that leads out to the point by the old old spot. After a brisk walk, we arrive to the point and find we are the first ones there. Even though the water was up, we wade through the upper waist high water out to the island and set up our blocks and Leroy. Fred makes a few patches to our blind and we go through the morning rituals. I have to say, with Fred's last venture out here and seeing not one duck or hearing one shot, I was a little worried. But only for a few seconds because a duck just flew over our heads and gun shots were in the distance. After a little time goes by and Fred is starting to doze off, I see my first opportunity. A merganser coming in low and hot. Being careful of Fred's really expensive decoys, I miss and sip. A little more time goes by and a big fat greenie notices Leroy and takes a direct path for us. Not wanting to disturb Fred while he is texting, I decide to take this one myself. He gets closer, not wanting to commit, but gets close enough. I put a shell in him and he drops. He drops hard! There was no splash to send our decoys crashing into the shore because he landed in the sand and there was a loud 'THUMP". Fearful that he broke a rib, I went out to make sure the landing only tenderized him. Oh yes, tender he shall be................buuuuuuuttttt probably broke a rib. After a little more time, and a few high fliers, we call it.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Nice work Cliffy!
I can only hope to make the PDX chapter proud on my next foray out into the 'Greenie Zone'
Time will tell.