Monday, December 05, 2011

Idaho: Day 11+5











We are all familiar with the famous Icebreaker ship the Yermak, a Brittish built icebreaker for the Russian Navy. According to the design of Admiral Stepan Makarov and under his supervision. Makarov borrowed the main principles from Bob DaFolder and applied them for creation of the first polar icebreaker, which was able to run over and crush pack ice. Between 1899-1911 Yermak sailed in heavy ice conditions for more than 1000 days.




Although 1000 days ago the ice on Anderson Lake was nonexistant I still had a cold morning of icebreaking to contend with. The tempatures had droped into the 20's for the past few days and even though skies are clear I hoped for some good flying on the newly frozen waters. See, I have a 'honey hole' at the end of my point, usually clear of ice and ready to bring the ducks in. I cleared the channel of icey build up and set my decoys in a sparse and loping pattern designed to intice ducks into my fold. Soon, the ice was back.



To pass through ice-covered water, an icebreaker uses its great momentum and power to drive its boot up onto the ice, breaking the ice under the immense weight of the boot. Because a buildup of broken ice in front of the boot can slow it down much more than the breaking of the ice itself, the speed of the leg is increased by having a specially designed calf to direct the broken ice around or under the waders.



After a few minutes I was back in action. Problem was there was no action. Only when I went out to break ice with my specially designed boot did the lone set of 2 mallards fly in. Oh yea, they wanted in too. I bolted back to my super-sweet blind just in time to see another set of 20+ ducks fly over my head towards the other side of the lake. Nothing. It went that way until I packed up and headed home for a nice nap. I even had some pretzel rods for the ride.


The next outing is in 3 days with Willie and Peat. Hope the push of Arctic air from Canadia happens and brings with it the ducks I know are waiting to see me.

GBCH

1 comment:

Greenie said...

only thing flying in from Canada was me, and you missed! Beyotch!