Saturday, December 17, 2011

Idaho: Day14+5


Otherwise known as Greenie time!
Finally I gots me a Greenie. More on that later. It was looking good for the morning. Cold temps and a light snow started to fall as we left the cabin. The cold had been in effect for a few days running and even though my last day was lean to say the least I was excited for another day on the Point. Willy and Peat picked me up and we made it to the Point just in time to set some blocks and settle in for the morning fly. Ducks whistled overhead as we made our plan of attack for shooting time. The last few days taught me that the best shooting time would be shortly after the opening bell. The first set came in right down the pipe and I told Willy to take em. A miss. Not an auspicious start but good to get the jitters out.

A few more flyers came by and a couple landed far out on the open water. Problem was the lake has not yet completely frozen over and the open water further out was much more attractive than the thin ribbon of water we had to work with. All the ducks moving in landed out there rather than coming in to see us. Rotisserie working, decoys looking good after brushing off the snow and as always the calling was sublime. The snow which had tapered off started to pick up again and some birds started moving around.

Geese took flight from the open water on the lake and swung our way. Willy asked if he should take the shot and I said something to the effect that I would not shoot (knowing how difficult it is to knock them down with 2shot) but if he felt the need... They swing right over our heads and Willy takes 2 shots. Incredibly, the lead bird starts falling and I'm amazed. Willy is shooting 4shot and he has done the deed, the goose is doing it's impression of the Memphis Belle! The picture is the impact mark it made as it landed without it's gear down and slid across the snow covered ice. Tough bastards that they are the thing gets up and walks to the open water while Willy and Peat run after it trying to put him out for the count. No luck.

And so it gets quiet. Too quiet. Willy is bummed and sure that he has to rethink his shot selection. Peat is confused as to what his job is too. I think his 1 year old dog brain was not ready for a big ass goose being so close, but yet so.... strange... so big... so 'what the hell is that'? We wait some more. It's quiet again and I'm thinking nothing else is going to happen, of course that's when it does.

A double comes in from the 12:00 and flies right down the pipe. Willy is out front and I alert him to the shot. They make like they are landing and we stand to take a shot. Stoopid Greenie flys left and towards us and Willy shoots, they swing in front of us instead of away and I shoot 2 at him. Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! I go out and deliver the final blow and that Greenie is mine, my first of the year. I bring him back in and Peat is confused again but before long Peat is so interested he can't keep his nose off it. Shortly after I have to call it as I have a "customer service clinic" to go to but I feel bad because Willy is stoked to stay and shoot again. Well, Tuesday is not too far away.
GBCH

1 comment:

Greenie said...

just my cousin Frankie, never liked him anyway