Thursday, January 05, 2012

Idaho: Day 18+5

Well here it is, the holidays are over and the long work weeks are behind me and it's been a long while since I have been out hunting by my lonesome, but today was going to be great. I packed up ole' Big Betty and although the temps were too warm for the smell of death in the air I was looking forward to seeing what the morning would bring. I arrived early to Anderson and walked out to 'The Tip' over barely frozen ground that last time out was covered in snowy goodness. The blind had been decimated by a recent windstorm that had ruined our snowpack and blown down trees on the ski hill. I had work to do before hunting time.

I set all the decoys I had out far on the now more open water and threw only 2 mallards and my Teal Pack close to my blind. The early arrival gave me time to reconfigure the devastation of the windstorm back into a reasonable hiding spot for me to wait for the impending storm of ducks in the morning fly. After toasting the day and Heston I waited.

Few ducks flew by in the pre-dawn darkness and geese called out from the far side of the lake telling me that they were possibly the only game in town. I waited. And waited. The picture you see is the absolutely georgeous sunrise that graced me that morning. Heston in all his glory! First it was divers buzzing the spread then some seagulls. Finally a bevy of Geese came from behind me and then some highflyers from behind too. At this point I figured that I should also look to the south for ducks as that's where they seemed to be coming from. My back got some good stretching form all the looking over my shoulder but it was thin.

About 2 hours in my phone rings and it was old friend of the H7HT Brother B Hopf. I had to answer. So there we are chatting away and the Brother asks if he should call back when I'm not in the blind. No I say, and of course just then a set of 2 flies right down the pipe over my head. As I continue talking they fly in again and just that fast my only opportunity for slaying that day is done. Geese fly by but no more good looks for ducks happen but that's why they call it hunting, right? I wait for another hour and although there are high flyers and a few divers the good action is done.

Here in Idaho the same warm weather that has gripped the rest of our nation has screwed us too. The ski areas are fighting to stay open and the ducks are not motivated to move around, both of which are making my life less than perfect. I can only hope that the good Lord Heston will put a stop to this Tomfoolery and bring me some nasty cold and snow post haste! We only have 1 more week here in the the panhandle in which to slay. I don't know how I can possibly face the legions of fans this blog has without "The Expert" title firmly in my pocket. Fred G and Cliffy are headed to a private reserve to slay ducks and their lead will be insurmountable unless I shoot my limit everyday until the close of the season. (Knowing the outcome of my next day hunting already does not help)

Pray with me....
Lord Heston
Bring on the cold
Bring on the snow & rain
Bring on the ducks
GBCH & GBH7HT


1 comment:

Fred G. said...

at least it was a beautiful morning huh?