Monday, January 09, 2012

Idaho: Day 19+5


Willy and I planned a day of slaying, of course Peat was along for the thrills too. We arrived at Anderson in time to set an armada of blocks so big that ducks would be foolish to ignore them being as they were perfect in every respect. The morning fly was minimal. We waited.

Geese flew by out of reach and taunted Willy. Ducks flew far overhead and taunted us both. Willy then took a walk out to the left where the water used to be to check out the far side of the lake. The picture shows the amazing show I saw as the sun broke through the clouds, it lit up the trees in the far hillside over our blind. I watched as the sun came blasting through the fog to light up the day. Beautiful!

Warm temps have ruined the chances for late season slaying that I have come to expect from Anderson, the water usually frozen up and the only game in town is the sliver of water right in front of us. Not this year. As he made his way back Willy set a couple of mallards near me but not near enough to shoot. We waited more. Then about 8 ducks flew into the blocks, turned and made another pass circling again and again right in front of us. Willy was looking to me to call the shot but I was waiting for the 'perfect shot'. The one where they come into the dekes all locked up and ready to land, not realizing that the perfect shot was when they pass overhead thinking about it. Our blocks were 30 yards out after all. My mistake, opportunity missed. I still feel bad about it to this day.

Then it was nothing but remorse. Should have taken the shot. We packed up and waited for the ducks to fly over us as we were packing up but none came. Should have taken the shot! Tomorrow is another day.
GBCH

No comments: