Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pork Fried Rice


Colusa Rice Killing Trip Part II:

Geese from blind no. 2
We arrive at the trailer we go over the house rules; no tp in toilet, don't kill Brennan and don't give hard liquor to Kevin.  And after I broke something there was an amendment, don't break anything.  Have a few beers waiting for Kevin to show up so we could head out to the goose fields.  Kevin shows up and we head out on the Ranger and drive about 2 miles to a field and set up 160 dozen goose deeks.  We hunker down and "brush up" and wait for the mass of geese to fly in so we may shoot our limits.  Sitting there in the field it had to be 60 degrees with no wind, we watched as the sunset with our first  dreams of killing our limits.  To my surprise Tom Foolery was in the Little Red Ranger and he thought it would be funny to push me out at 30 mph.  After a small tumble in the gravel, where I did not spill any beer, we headed back to camp where Tom was waiting.  Tom had the fire feature lit to symbolize the beginning of the end.  When I mention fire feature I don't mean something like you would buy at Crate and Barrel,  something along the lines of the Olympic flame, more of something that you can and will burn full pallets .  This thing was lit once and burned for the three days we were there.  These guys are the Mayors of Duck Club for sure. 

Cliffy putting out Leroy blind no. 2
Rice fields at night
A great meal of rack of pork loin lightly smoked with grilled squash and grilled polenta.  The full moon is blazing and I notice that ducks are dancing out in the fields.  We stand on the back porch and take it all in, deciding what our plan will be to slay all of those ducks in the morning.  We do the dishes in the fire pit and we notice that Tom Foolery is now dancing around the fire pit.  I then break a rule, I feed Kevin some Irish wikki.  Oops.  Pallets and I beams are thrown onto the fire, Cliffy is buzzing around the property, all 300 acres of it, on the ATV.  Trees are being brought back from the woods, the fire must have raised the ambient temperature 10 degrees.  Mario the sheriff shows up and I hand him my bottle.  He hands me a beer and jumps in the ATV with Cliffy and Kevin.  Brennan and I sit and shake our heads, he feels his re-election of Mayor for next year may be trouble if this keeps up.  Juan the care tacker of the farm shows up with his house mate.  He brings an awesome rojo salsa that he made.  Tom Foolery and Mr. Mayhem are dancing on the ceiling now.  The ATV rodeo is in full swing, it's getting late and with the ducks dancing and singing in the rice fields it made me sleepy.  With the sheriff now in town I think there are not enough beds now, I take my bed roll and climb into the back of Cliffys truck.  Quiet now.  Now when the crew gets home I'm out of the way, I'm asleep.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful pictures. The sky is incredible.