Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Day Nineteen, The End




We knew going into the last day it was going to be interesting.  Cliffy only being down one duck, water up and the possibility of having a third hunter with us who could possibly change the scheme of things with one pull of the trigger.  Well, thank Heston the latter is a pussy and needed some beauty sleep on the last day of hunting, the last day.  So that only left two things to contend with, Cliffy possibly tying or exceeding me in the duck count and of course the water.  Of course the last day of the year always falls on a Sauvies day, so naturally we decide to go out to the Old Spot and try to find a dry spot on the point and a place where we could shoot a duck and actually retrieve it even if we were to need the assistance of TJ.  

Yo Fred G. save some for me!
Knowledge and math.  Five plus three equals eight, it's at 12 now last time we hunted the point with a lot of water it was at about eight so now it's 4 feet over the time we were out there standing in water, so with the knowledge we have of the area we are going to be able to find the perfect spot, you get the picture.  We wade out in waist high water and find an ankle high oasis, sure the water is up but we find the further we move towards the center of the point it's really only three feet flooded!  The Best. Throw the blocks out not once but twice, this is where the controversy comes in, and I make an awesome blind.  


Ducks are flying everywhere!  Mallards and Pintails.  Showers of rain on and off with a little wind, the weather is perfect.  A set of Mallards come in from the left gear down and I fold, splash lands right in front of the blind, easy peasy.  I break my season high, I am psyched Cliffy is not.  Here comes the controversy.  Cliffy normally sits on the left hand side, this set came in perfectly from the left hand side.  After throwing out the blocks the first time I didn't like the set up, so I moved my blocks and told Cliffy to move his and while he was moving his I built the blind and put myself on the left hand side.  Honestly I didn't know we had assigned seating.  Sorry.  Then another set comes in from the left, you get the picture, BAM! I fold the green heads woman.  More words are exchanged he's even making up rules now!  If they come in from here blah blah blah blah............  Ask him about the set that came in from the right full gear down, the vision of the green heads with its gear down silhouetted with morning sun will forever be engrained in my mind, a true vision of beauty.  We had ducks circling our spread all morning I think with more cover we would have had more shots.  The last day turned out to be the best day, sure I shot two ducks to set a high bar, but that was not the reason it was the best.



No comments: