Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bring on the Armada.

So, H7HT co-founder and current 'Expert' Fred G asks me the other day if I'm getting all antsy for the upcoming season.  See, my season starts here in a few weeks, 19 days to be exact.  And I told him that with so much going on this time of year it's hard to be anxious just yet.  One job is coming to a close, another getting ready to start, our first real vacation in years, the possibility of Jenny X in town, scouting and blind building not to mention getting the boat all figured out, it's a lot going on.  Then I got home to a package waiting on my doorstep.  It's from Cabellas. Huh?

I open the box trying to remember if I ordered something online after having an adult beverage, something I thought I could not live without.  But then I see the packing slip with the note attached from 'The Expert'.  Some fresh goose decoys with a note explaining that now that the boat is complete it needs some new accoutrements. Sweet.  Confidence decoys for making the spread even more realistic.

So yesterday I completed all my chores and started in on the box.  I pulled the geese and attached the heads, measured the line and strung the weights.  Got all my old blocks from storage in the shed and dumped them on the floor.  Some had lost weights from the Anderson lake mud and needed to be replaced.  Some needed a little paint touch up and they all needed a good bath.  And where in the name of Heston did I put the wings for the spinner?  As I worked on the fleet I started to get a little anxious and began to think about the days coming up.  Now, with the boat, the possibility for new places to hunt and the chance to see other angles of the lakes.  Willy and Peat have been training and an actual retriever is in the mix.  Rocky the bartender has a boat and plans to hunt more this year.  Fred G, Jenny X and my brother C. DaFolder all plan to make trips to the Panhandle for some slaying action.  And to top it all off, this morning when I woke the temp was 34 degrees and a light frost was on the ground.

So today my sweetie and I had a good pancake breakfast and are off to Killarney Lake to put the boat through it's paces.  Time to see what the other side of the lake looks like.  The side where everyone says all the greenies are.  The side I could never get to before.  The side I'm excited to see.  19 days.


GBCH

No comments: