Friday, October 26, 2012

Idaho: Day 5

The SS Rocky Concordia
As I pulled in the parking lot and was packing up I heard another truck pull into the lot next to me.  Lo and behold, Rocky the bartender was here to slay too.  He had brought along his tiny boat and although it would not take me it certainly did take my stuff out to The Point.  My walk was light and easy.  After the extra time getting ready we had very little time to set before the bell for shooting time rang so we only threw out a couple decoys and the spinner and waited for the inevitable morning fly.  Nothing much happened.  I think the majority of the storm front that had been in the area before had moved through.  The wind was nonexistent and the temp was up.  Birds had no reason to fly.

That didn't stop Rocky from pasting a coot sitting on the water that had drifted into our spread.  I explained the finer points of jump shooting and that maybe it's not too sporting to shoot things on the water.  I think he got it.  He planned to eat the coot, mmmmm nasty.

A couple big birds flew about after we put out the rest of the decoys but good shots were hard to find.  I did have one deuce that spun around from the left and gave me a nice belly shot at what I think was a teal or maybe a gadwall.  I took the shot remembering the words of Fred G about 'shotening' my gun and missed a little on purpose.  Greenie is my target, everyone else is small potatoes.  Just look at how he spent his summer, karate lessons?  He's like a ninja duck for Heston's sake.  I will get him.
GBCH

1 comment:

Fred G. said...

i hope you at least carried your gun for cougar sake!