Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Idaho: Day 6

Lots to talk about today so let's get started.
First off, Willy.  He will now be known only as Clider, navigator for the Iceman and hater of Goose.  More importantly though, he is the 'Expert' and has been padding his lead by folding again.  This time a Hen Mallard and 600 Coots bringing his total to 2.  The mudhens count for a big fat nothing so don't be fooled by his picture, they are just like lake veal, confined to boxes and nailed to the water until someone comes along and hits them over the head.  Just to give you an idea of how hard they are to find and shoot you should know the limit is 25 a day.  Mmmm, nasty.  My next chance to hunt will be with Cilder way away in 9 days.  Hopefully he will share some of his wisdom and 'Expertness' with me and maybe I will get a chance to shoot a duck.

Peat and 1/5th limit of Coots
So you have likely guessed by now that I did not shoot a duck today.  My alarm went off precisely at 4am and I hit my mental snooze bar to sleep in another few minutes. When I finally woke at 5am I was in such a hurry to get out to the lake and set up that I forgot to bring a chair.  Actually I remembered about 20 minutes into the ride so I quickly changed plans.  I figured that the spot where we had the blind last year would be a good choice, not only because I could hunker down on the hard edge of the water but also because that kind of look was exactly what the 'Expert' did last weekend, and we all know how that turned out.  I set my blocks right at shooting time and pushed myself back into the grasses lining the shoreline.  I was set, and lookin' good.  The water was perfectly still so I thrashed my feet to make ripples flow into my decoys making them come alive against the rest of the lake.  Sweet.




That's how hidden it is!
Nothing flying.  Not only was it warm still and foggy, as the fog broke I saw the full moon just slipping below the horizon.  Perfect conditions for nothing.  I had maybe 4 or 5 ducks come anywhere near me all the while on Thompson Lake behind me the party was on.  Happy Greenies in their little protected area sitting in the sun and having no need to move anywhere at all. As I looked around I made a decision.  I saw the perfect area to make a blind.  Now I was planning to wait until Fred G. showed up to build our Anderson blind but this spot was too perfect. 5 yards off the water and covered from all angles.  I took out a Personal Line of Credit for $485,000 and built the pappy of all concealed killing spaces.  It's so good I may never find it again!  The best part is that none of the material I removed was used to make the blind which means it will match the surroundings perfectly all season.  It was well worth the $ and I took the remaining dough and filled my gas tank and had some Doritios.
There you have it.  Day 6.
GBCH

1 comment:

Fred G. said...

hey Cilider how delish were those there coot?