Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 1. Founders Tour

That time of year has come once again.  The annual Founders Tour!  What, were you thinking Turkey day?  Cause we could have shot a turkey too, or at least run one over on the way home from hunting.  But the Founders Tour it is.
This year I had a surprise up my sleeve for the tour.  I had secretly replaced the little Ford Ranger with a much bigger and uglier Ford which could now take us anywhere.  The other truck was adorable but, with it's little tired engine and limited life span, it could not be depended on to not suffer a catastrophic failure. Something I hoped not to repeat for the 3rd year in a row.  Plus it suffered massive wheel bearing failure the week before with Clider and myself coming home from Killarney.  Everything's cool!  Fred G had his own surprise up his sleeve.  Ebola.  As I type this report I am still hacking up ebola covered Southern Comfort.  Thanks buddy.

Monday morning was colder and foggy when we left the house but the weather started to improve as we got closer to Anderson.  It started snowing.  I had decided that after plane flights, airport drives and some early evening beverages it would be a good idea to start with an old favorite.  I had a $485,000 blind built but Clider informed us that the water had retreated and it would be better to sit on the hard edge of the water line and hunt from there.  We made our way out as the snow got heavier and set a beautiful spread in no time.  All those years of hunting together allow us to read each others minds sometimes.  I could tell Fred G was thinking "Bob will certainly shoot the first duck today" which is why I was surprised he agreed to a 'drink making' bet so easily.  Sure enough, not long after the bell I folded a Greenie who wanted in from the snow and wind.  He dropped right in the decoys and we waited for the next ducks.  They weren't long in coming.

Mucho Patos Holmes
Our grand total was 7 mallards that day, Fred G with 5 and me with 3 but one lost to the lake.  It was a bad feeling losing that duck but the only bad feeling of the day.  Heston had blessed us with one of the best hunting days of all time.  Cold wind and light snow fell all day long, ducks consistently flew near to or landed in the decoys and we were neither wet or cold under our gear. I only hope the pictures can do justice to the beauty of the lake that day. 




We headed home and cleaned ducks, Fred teaching me to utilize the legs and thighs that we were to save for making Duck Confit, and talked of the good fortune we were to have every day of the trip.  I can't think of a better way to begin the Founders Tour and Fred thought being the 'Co-Expert' in 1 day was pretty cool.  I also let him beat me in Ducey just to make him feel welcome in my home.  What a guy!

No comments: