Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Founders Tour Day 2

Day one's take


After a busy evening of plucking ducks we awake wondering if the day could possibly bring the same results as day one.  Heston surely blessed us.  Today we are hunting with the newest members of the H7HT, Clider and Peaty.  We're heading out to hunt the point but when we  arrive there are other hunters loading up their boat to head out to the point.  Being the best we have a plan, #7, hunt the blind on the lake.  We walk out in a light rain and along the way Clider lays a story on us of his encounter with a moose on the very same path we are walking out on.  We get to our spot throw our blocks out and settle onto the reeds.  

Day one was amazing, we were folding like superman on laundry day.  Fully folding, barely missing and when we connected they were dead eye shots.  Day two, well, was different.  Birds were flying in pretty steady, but we could not fold anything.  Guns bent?  I take a walk to clear my head, "was yesterday just a fluke?" I think to myself.  On my way back to the blind I spy a hen wanting our spread so did they guys.  They both unload on it and both think it's not hit, they were wrong and gave up on it too soon.   I watch the hen land far out, she's done, and I have her spied.  I'm wading out to retrieve when I remember we have a dog to do this for us.  Before I knew it Peaty was behind me on his way out to make about 100 yard retrieve.  Good Boy!  Back at the blind there was a small discussion between Bob and Clider as to who did the folding.  It was decided that Clider would take this one and if the same situation arose Bob would take the next.

More shots taken and missed.  It's getting ridiculous. Sets of two are flying in and all three of us are unloading our guns and then they fly away, laughing at us.  It's like a game to them.  Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm feeling like death and not partaking in any blind games, or my gun bent due to all the shells I put through it yesterday, or maybe Heston was trying to give me some kind of sign.  Then out of nowhere greenie is back looking for his woman.  Again we all unload on him, but it's clear that mine were just failed attempts, my other two comrades on the other hand were back in controversy as to who, partially folded it.  I say partially because the bird is still swimming away and he's out there.  Again Clider and Peaty are out there for a retrieve.  Clider puts another in the duck and Peaty with another 100 yard plus retrieve.  Peaty is working his ass off for these guys, but he loves it.  I mention the fact that if Peaty were not with us that bird would have been a NR, or a non-retrieve bird, and one of them would have gotten  minus.  So with that we all agreed to give Peaty the bird.  The morning dried up and I could not be more happy to get this day behind me, I felt like crap and my shooting was less than desirable.   Plus with all the cleaning I did the night before I was happy to not to have to be plucking no feather.



No comments: