Saturday, December 01, 2012

Founders Tour Day Four



Clider had a plate and screws taken out of his leg two days ago and doctor told him to take it easy for two weeks.  So we pick Clider and Peat up really early so we could get to the point before anyone else, and we could use the boat to shuttle Clider out so he doesn't have to make the walk.  Well wouldn't you know it those same mother f'ers were there before us again!  Plan #7.7, Bob and Clider pack up the boat with all the gear and boat down to the blind and I take the truck and drive down to the path and hike it in.  I hand my gun to Clider to pack into the boat and he asks me what I'm doing?  He reminds me of the fabled moose with eight foot eyes he saw on that path and recommends that I take my gun and put a shell in it.  "Oh Great!" I think to myself not wanting to sound like a pussy, now I have to deal with the cougar and a moose!  I high tail it down the path making sure my headlamp only see's the ground so I don't shine it into the moose's eyes. 

Moose are not usually aggressive towards humans, but can be provoked or frightened to behave with aggression. In terms of raw numbers, they attack more people than bears and wolves combined, but usually with only minor consequences. On the American continents, moose injure more people than any other wild mammal and, worldwide, only hippopotamuses injure more. When harassed or startled by people or in the presence of a dog, moose may charge. Also, as with bears or any wild animal, moose that have become habituated to being fed by people may act aggressively when denied food. During the fall mating season, bull moose may be aggressive toward humans due to the high hormone levels they experience. Cows with young calves are very protective and will attack humans who come too close, especially if they come between mother and calf. Unlike other dangerous animals, moose are not territorial, and do not view humans as food, and will therefore usually not pursue humans if they simply run away.

Like any wild animal, moose are unpredictable and should be given a respectful amount of space. They are most likely to attack if annoyed or harassed, or if their "personal space" has been encroached upon. Moose that have been harassed may vent their anger on unwary victims, and often do not make distinctions between their tormentors and innocent passers-by. Moose are very limber animals with highly flexible joints and sharp, pointed hooves, and are capable of kicking with both front and back legs. Unlike other large, hooved mammals, such as horses, moose can kick in all directions including sideways. Sideways! They can kick sideways!

Enough about the moose.  I greet the boat and pull it toward shore and we unload Clider and the gear. After we set up an awesome spread we settle into our spots and await the morning fly.  An american widgeon wants a part of our party and Clider has to deny this one at the door.  He drops her and again she starts to swim away.  Clider calls out to me "Fred I might need some help with this one," me forgetting he just had major surgery two days ago.  I jump out and head to the water to put the finishing touches on her.  I turn and there is Peat and Clider making their way into the water, Clider just can't stay out of the action.  Peat makes another long retrieve and Clider is moving up to expert status quickly. Clider comments on how the water therapy feels good on his newly rebuilt leg.  So good that within a few minutes he's out there retrieving a hen mallard, but again she is swimming away trying to drop his totals like I drop my alarm clock every morning.  This time she's too far out and Bob has to make the assist and retrieve in the boat. 

For some reason Bob is in and out of consciousness all morning.  Clider and I seem to be hunting by ourselves which is okay because action is steady but not great.   Bob is out for a walk with Peat trying to stay awake and on his way back in two geese start coming into our spread. They want us, the goose decoys I bought for the team seem to be working.  They are gliding in slow and low.  Clider's and my mouth are watering.  Clider gives the order "Lets take them!"  Two come in and only one leave, I fold mine.  I'm in the water retrieving and Peat is right behind me like a good boy charging at the goose.  Peat gets to the goose and wants nothing to do with the monster and walks away.  Let me just say geese are tough.  It's getting late and almost time to call it.  I tell Clider one sure way of bringing is some birds is to unload your gun.  So I unload my gun and tell Clider to keep his loaded, oh yeah Bob is sleeping now.  Sure enough about 8 mallard come in wanting us in the bad way.  I silently reload my gun and as the last shell goes in a green head bastard puts down it's gear right in front of me, needless to say the easiest retrieve ever for Peat, and he wanted nothing to do with it.  Bob started the day as Expert, but I leave being the Expert, feels good, pretty good.




No comments: