Monday, December 10, 2012

Idaho: Day... 12 maybe?

It's been a while since I posted.  Snow came to the Silver Valley, work heated up, customers want to bother me and I've been busy.  Not too busy to hunt, just too busy to post.  But unlike some of my other teammates who shall remain nameless, (Cliffy and Clider) I am taking time from my couch nap to make this post.  What a guy eh?

Mr. Widgeon.
I hunted a couple days by myself after the last greenie shooting incident I posted here. A day at the Blind on Anderson and a day at the Point that were both unsuccessful but much needed.  The most recent day I went with Clider to the Point and we put out a massive spread which resulted in a widgeon to add to my totals.  I was forced to shoot him because he bolted by me so fast I couldn't see that he was not, in fact, a greenie.  All I saw was the white underbelly he flashed coming from left to right and my natural reaction was to take the shot.  I dropped him with one pull of the trigger but Clider had to finish him off as he was closer to the little bastard when he attempted to get away.  Clider may have shotten a duck too but you will have to wait for his post to learn more.



Today I thought I would be working but the reality was me having the day off so the only reasonable thing to do was to get up ass crack early and head out into the cold darkness. We recently had a cold front move in and with the snow and cold it brought I'm sure some ducks came with it.  The good news was that the mountain finally got busy but the bad news was that I did too.  Even though I missed the brunt of the system I still had some good looking weather ahead.  This morning brought a layer of snow on the ground and some below freezing temps.  I left a little early to account for the bad roads and being sure I got to the Point first.  The walk out was stunning, with 3/4" snow that had fallen so lightly that it covered every twig and branch in a layer of light airy snow.  I was careful not to bump any branches near the blind and it looked fantastic being all white and covered just like the surroundings area.  Noisy mallards were scared up form the waters around the blind as I made my walk and many more were calling on the lake as I set up.  Seems that the refuge on the other side had frozen up and I was surrounded by greenies on my lake before the opening bell.

boredom set in
There was a bit of a morning fly but soon after the light came all I could see were geese and divers.  Mergansers flew around me the whole day but I opted to wait for Greenie and while I did Mergies Bufflehead and Geese all made appearances and landings around me.  I contemplated shooting them all but the widgeon from the other day reminded me to measure my shots carefully.  Nothing presented itself (except when I was pulling up of course) and no shots were taken.  I'd rather think of this day as one for the scenery books than one for ducks.  It sure was gorgeous.  Tow days from now I will be back at it with Clider and Rocky the Bartender, wish me luck.
GBCH

No comments: