Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Idaho Day 15-16ish???



Busy, busy, busy.  Run into work, drive out to hunt, comeback, clean duck, go to work. This had been the schedule for the last few weeks as I get settled into my new job at the mountain, squeezing in some hunting when I can.  This is my catch up day, no work, just some early morning slaying with Bob and Peaty.  Most of these past days have been exploratory, checking out some sweet spots that tried to bury me up to my hips in mud or areas where there is only 10 feet of water before plunging off a shelf to a certain death.  Some days were spent chasing a stray goose decoy that had been expertly tied to the weight by Bob, good thing waders don’t have laces.  Actually it seems to be the line because this has happened 3 or 4 times now. Not much shooting happening during most of this.

First I must explain something about Bob’s last post.  I got my second consecutive merganser fairly soon after finishing Bob’s widgeon for him.  It was a very small, some may even say “tiny merganser”.  Consequently, one well placed shot was all that was needed to drop and kill him.  I may even have said something along the lines of “ that’s how you kill a bird, one shot”.  A little while later I may have gotten a little excited about some buffleheads that had just landed at the outer edge of the spread.  This may in turn have resulted in immediately jump shooting one to try and bring the expert title back into reach.  That bird may have continued to swim/fly well out of range and eventually rejoin his buddies in the center of the lake.  Due to the fact that I saw him fly a short bit later I had tossed around the idea of not counting him as a NR but I am pretty sure he is no longer with us today.  I blew it again and I am sorry.









Main event

The forecast has looked amazing the last few times Bob and I have headed out, wind rain/snow, cold temps and Ducks.  Sadly it just keeps getting nice each time we get excited.  Well today looked beautiful, all the right conditions for ducks.  We got an early start in the ultimate duck hunting Volvo wagon and arrived with plenty of time for a leisurely stroll out and a well placed armada. The blind on the north eastern end of the lake was the spot and the water was as far up as it goes. Both of our packs were bulging with decoys, the roto, jerk rig and I had my flocked birds. 

The morning was quiet, no one was shooting anywhere, a few lookers but no takers.  Until a single bird came in from the left, low and fast with wings locked.  I deftly lept to my feet, out of the blind, shouldering my weapon as I moved and in a single fluid motion fired a solitary shot.  It rang out like Thor’s Mighty hammer, a single punctuating thunder in the still beauty of the foggy morning.  The beast lay dead on the left side of the spread, floating delicately in the midst of the mighty armada. Then a greenie came in and set up in front of Bob, he missed a bunch so we went home and I cleaned my teal.















  

No comments: