Monday, December 17, 2012

Oregon, Crazy Long Day



Well today was a crazy day. Last week after hunting I was out in front of my house enjoying a beverage in my waders when one of my neighbors approached me. "Hi my name is TJ and I noticed you were a duck hunter, I hunt ducks too" Well that's how it started. TJ saw me Sunday and we got to talking again and I mentioned I'm heading out to Sauvies on Monday would he like to join me. Well. TJ picked me up super early and we made it in line pretty far back. When we got to the window we were denied a spot. I turned to TJ and asked him if he ever hunted the north unit. "Nope" he says so were on our way. Being the Co-Expert I lead him to my spot. After long walk all we find is mucho water. After we fight the elements we decide maybe it's better that we quit this and try to put our name on the wait list back at the shack. We get talking while we are waiting, and I tell him about our TJ, the Hooker. He tell's me he was named after the pitcher Tommy John, a pitcher who throws baseballs. After a long wait we get hunt 12, the shortie walk. We throw out my blocks settle in and start the waiting process. Things are flying but nothing I want. Well wouldn't you know TJ is a skybuster, the man named after a pitcher who throws baseballs. I say that reminding you all about the Dallas episode. Remember Bob DaFolders advice to him? If you could throw a baseball and hit it the duck is in range. The man was named after Tommy John!! I didn't have much to say after that, it seemed like that is the way he hunted, it seemed natural to him. He is a nice guy, but his brand of hunting was not mine. I basically gave up, after TJ scared a few more ducks we call it. He drops me off we shake hands and he says we should do this again. I'll need to have a talk with him over a beer someday. With the season getting later it seems as though Sauvies is all we have, unless the water goes out we're looking at 5 more days, maybe. Maybe over the summer TJ and I will have a chat about the finer ways of hunting the H7HT way. 


1 comment:

Bob said...

Dallas said "I can throw a baseball really far" after the conversation and he had shotten way far out.
Good luck with this mollaca.