Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Idaho Founder and Future 'Expert' Day 1



Bob D. here.  My first day of the season was a long time coming.  Especially long due to the fact that all the other main players in the H7HT were out before me and had their opportunity to shoot Greenie before I did.  What a shame.  I need a job where I can hunt every day and not have to report to the Boss.  Maybe 'Lottery winner'?
Clider resets
So knowing full well what Clider and Ken (H7HT name forthcoming) had been up to I picked up Clider and Peat at 4:30 for the ride to Anderson and beyond.  The F250 and it's questionable carburation system preformed flaw less ly, and we showed up at the Other Side with plenty of time to put out many mallard blocks, jerk rig, spinner, teal pack and several geese. I am hunting with Clider after all.  The furthest blocks were only about 30 feet from the shore because the water drops off quite quickly and even though we had a good dog TJ can only reach so far for retrieval. We finished just 5 minutes after legal shooting time.  We set back into the holes we cut into the brushy roadside and waited.
Future so bright.....
It was very foggy and still but there was a nice chill to the air which is somewhat unusual for this early.  Ducks, mainly small ducks, flew near us and some buzzed the spread looking but not landing.  We called and tried to entice them out of the fog by trying different cadence and whistles along with the standard highball.  Nothing.  After a while I could tell Clider was getting antsy to go to his new favorite spot, the 'Mudhole'  We packed up and moved over to the Mudhole which is only about 1/4 mile away.

I'm sure you will soon hear about the slog that it is.  Let me just say that ballancing on a floating raft of cattails is interesting to say the least.  Ducks moved around when we were setting but noting wanted us.  Nothing that is except the roten Henny that landed out of range on the other side of the hole not once, but three times, and proceded to quack away with no effect on bringing Greenie in to see us.  Bitch.  Soon after we packed up and headed back to the truck.  On the way Clider chastized me for not being 'The Expert' but I still shared with him the delicious sandwhich I spent hours making the night before.

Enclosed are some pictures of our day and I must say it was great to be out in the blind again.  Not only are the wikki and treats good to see again, but the Pedes Usque Conseres is what it's all about.
GBCH



2 comments:

Clider said...

My brain hurts when trying to set decoys, so many rules to follow or not follow.

Fred G. said...

Zombies in the blind?