Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Idaho: 11-4-13

Another week of work down the drain meant another day for the Idaho chapter to slay.  Sunday had been a washout for slaying with both of us going to clean up after the CdA ski show.  I had product to pick up and Clider was forced to go along to bring home the gondola cabin trailer that they use for marketing.  A storm front was bringing cold and snow to our hunting grounds and it did not sit well with either of us. We had been in negotiations all week about where to go and of course I suggested The Point, I love The Point.  Clider wanted to make a pilgrimage to Hidden Lake on the back side of Killarney and was planning on doing his best Mad Scientist to create a boat blind for his new boat.  As of Sunday he had not finished so we planned on a walking day, perfect for The Point.  Due to the recently enacted daylight savings time we left exceptionally early for..... the Other Side.  He is 'The Expert' after all.  We brought bunches of decoys of all races and colors and drove right up to the Other Side blind and settled in for a fine, mildly cold and overcast day of potential.

Duck suggester 
Ducks were flying and soon a lone duck came in all locked up and ready to rest.  We both saw him and shot at the exact same moment folding him cleanly in the spread.  Now, we all know that I only shoot Greenies so the widgeon that Peat brought in was awarded to me. (Apparently I only shoot widgeon now) After some more flying a group came in and we both took shots, with me shooting last and wounding a bird who promptly swam away beyond any reasonable chance to retrieve.  An N.R.!  So there I am back to zero and feeling like one for poor shooting choices.  Clider and I both took walks down the road to the cove where bazillions of coot were loafing and scared the dumb ass mud-hens enough to make them water-run to safety.  Little did they know, they are always safe from our guns.  As I was walking back an IDFW lady drove up in her truck and checked our IDs and the plugs in our guns.  She seemingly ignored the tasty delicious Bush Beer sitting next to me.  I don't know what the law of the land says about having a beer while hunting, but I say Mmmmmmmm yea.  Of course while she was there three different sets of ducks flew by and wanted in but none of them could ignore her walking around without face paint on.

Sidebar: While in CdA we stopped at the local sporting goods store and I bought some face paint on a lark.  It looks stupid and you feel like an idiot, but it seems to work.  As the old H7HT motto goes 'Stupidity be damned'.  We are converts. I will never again feel normal anywhere in public after a day in the blind with that stuff on my face.  Sure, you can wash the stuff off, but once again 'stupidity be damned'! I plan on using it on every hunt and just maybe when mowing the lawn, it will never see me coming.

A short while later I noticed a fat greenie coming in from the right.  Clider was in his flight path to my right and the greenie came in so fast that I did not, and would not, take a shot.  I believe I said something like "of course" or "why not" about him landing with a smooth splash in the middle of the spread but instantaneously Clider was up and aimed.  The bastard immediately jumped off the water and Clider folded him with clean precision.  Now, before I tell you what happened next, remember that the last few times I was out on The Point a greenie or greenies have come in and landed in the blocks.  I jump and they sit or patiently swim off a distance before taking flight.  Then I miss them with poor shooting skills.  Well this time he did a perfect 15 yard out jump and got folded on the spot.  I said (earmuffs kids) "fuck you!" aimed, not at the duck but at the man to my right.

As Peat retrieved the duck I had time to reflect on what had just happened.  My teammate, another H7HT member and the current 'Expert' had just made a perfect shot on a big green headed bastard and instead of being happy for him I was a little bitch. I know that my season to this point has been less than stellar but there was no excuse for what I had done.  I should have been, and normally am, exhilarated when one
of us shoots a duck. I was now a two time loser.  I apologized and Clider was fine but I learned something today, something I already knew.  We are a team. We are the H7HT and dammit, we are the BEST.
GBCH and slay on friends!


No comments: