Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Easy money.

My Sweetie has been dog sitting, yes, that's a dog, for her brother and sister in law over in Coeur d'Alene.  I went over yesterday on my day off to keep her company and to test the waters of their Redwood style hot tub.  It was delightful. We had a nice fat cheeseburger and after a good soak drifted off to sleep but not before she told me about the turkeys that would wake us up in the morning.  See, her sister in law feeds the deer in her semi suburban back yard and I think most H7HT readers would agree that that's a recipe for disaster.  The deer have become so accustomed to being fed they no longer have any inhibitions to people.  My Sweetie, as per the arrangemet for dog sitting, has to feed the zoo as well and they have been eating from the bowl in her hand.  Bad for wild animals?  Bad for their instincts?  Bad for the neighbors?

One amazing side effect is the turkeys.  I walked the dog (the Lab) so that she could sleep in this morning  and I heard the turkeys up on the hillside.  When she went out to feed the deer a line of turkeys, 25 to 30 deep, came along for the buffet.  They yielded to the deer but not by much and ate like little piggys.  I watched in amazement as dinner for the next 3 years chomped away just feet from me.  I was standing outside on the deck and they had no fear.  A slingshot and some triple BB would have done the job and I wondered if Clider would have gone into epileptic shock.  Being 'The Expert' he would have been able to easily hand catch a turkey, thus adding to his legend as the Rambo of the H7HT.  I have included these pictures to prove what irresponsible game management can get you. 
GBCH

Not shown, the other 10 deer, including a 4 point buck.


No comments: