Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Idaho: 1-14-14 The Last Day.

Today was the day Clider and I were supposed to be returning from Portland Town after Cili'n for the King.  We were unable to make the trip due to my poor choices in automobiles and mechanics.  I hate the XC 70. We did get the chance to have one last day at Anderson Lake and we made the best of it by leaving with just enough time to set up and watch the first ducks of the day spin over our heads as we settled in.  I was reaching for my bottle and gun while Clider was loading a shell.  They were majestic in flight and we marveled at not only their beauty, but the fact that they were actually there.  When they left we toasted the morning and the H7HT.  As we sat, they took off form the spot where our decoys were.  We never saw them land.  Greenie!

There were actually ducks flying and many geese around but none of them wanted to come and see our hastily put together blind and perfect decoy spread.  The spinner did not have a charge which was just fine and we had the jerk rig set and working.  We spoke of not calling but we just had to make the attempt and I, for one, think that it made the difference between them coming to us or the many geese sitting on the ice in the middle of the lake.  Of  course they chose the lake, but don't you feel like you're doing something when you're calling?  I do.  Clider had to take a walk.  I took a shot at passing geese, way far away, just to shooten my gun.  Of course I missed.

I always feel that Clider taking a walk is for the best.  I get to sit and wait for the ducks to be scared up and fly right into our spot.  I also get to take a nap, which is just what I did.  I woke to the sound of ducks but what happened is that I saw nothing anywhere and was worried that Clider had died on the ice.  A good 15 min. had passed and I had no idea where he and Peat were.  After a few minutes I saw them sneaking out onto the ice a good 1000 yards off and attempting to jump some fat bastard geese which then took off and flew in my direction.  Being that all the geese that had flown anywhere near 'The Tip' never came in I felt that I had nothing to look for.  I was wrong.

Leaning back, and being comfortable, I heard the geese come from my right.  They settled down right into the blocks 20 yards to my right and I had only a Black Cloud Close Range in the chamber.  Then 4 big ole bastards lofted down from the left and as the spun over my head I shot.  Wing shot fold.  Quick as a Benelli totin' machine I shotten again, this time with a 3" 2 shot shell and the big tanker was down right on the grassy knoll behind me.  I was up and after him in a flash.  He played dead but after I put my foot on his neck and smashed him into the mud he knew it was Bob D that had him.

Tomorrow I eat goose. (perhaps wrapped in bacon and on the grill just like the former Expert taught me.)
All in all it was a good last day on the hunt.  Heston blessed me with a final day Cil and it was good to hunt with the 'Expert' once again.  Fred G and I are tied for 2nd place and that is a good way to finish and knowing that the Oregon Chapter has at least a couple more chances to slay gives me hope that they will try.  And maybe they will even tell you aboot their exploits here on this very Blog.
GBCH.






No comments: