Sunday, October 12, 2014

Opening Day 2014










All week long Clider called me and suggested we go out on opening morning, who am I to oppose 'The Expert'?  So off we went, not to Mudhole, not to Hidden lake, not even in the boat.  All those plans went out the window when Clider decided to take a casual bike ride down a trail at Silver Mountain called, I believe, powder puff.  We went to The Point.

Opening day seems to be the same every year.  It's warm and sunny and you don't see any ducks anywhere.  I was happy to see Clider and Peat out in the road waiting for me at 4:30 and we traveled the familiar commute to Anderson lake.  I set a small spread of decoys and cleaned out the grasses on the floor of the blind and waited for shooting time.  This year was different though, we saw ducks. And not one or two, we saw quite a few of all varieties. There were even a couple greenies that landed 50 yards outside the blind and eventually flew off in the wrong direction.  The weather was chilly and some rain fell and I had a good feeling that soon the team would all be together when the hunting got better.

After a while Clider and Peat got sick of me not shooting at small ducks and requested I just take a shot or three at some kind of duck.  The guys behind us were shooting boxes of shells, why not me?  Soon after we packed up and headed back home for chores and to give Clider a chance to ice his shoulder.  Of course on the way home my truck blew a radiator hose and is now waiting in the driveway for a transplant.  Every time Peat rides with me he breaks something.  Bad dog!  More to come.
GBCH




No comments: