Tuesday, November 04, 2014

If Only It Counted.....


 Today it rained and I shot a Greenie.


I left the house today in the pouring rain and I thought of all my days hunting in the state of Oregon and how being prepared was the best defense against the elements.  I packed at least two of everything that I could find and took my truck, just back from the doctors, out to Anderson and another shot at The Point.  The rain settled into a steady soaking kind of rain for my walk out and I set up just in time for the morning fly, but there was none.  Birds trickled in by ones and twos as the rain slowly trickled into my sleeves and drenched my elbows.  Three shots at the first Greenie of the day went off course and other birds came and went, just like dry gloves and hats.

Just about the time my third pair of gloves was soaking through a lone greenie came in from the right and fell with my second shot.  Reaching down into the chilly waters to retrieve him was no problem because everything from my elbow down was already saturated.  You know what wasn't saturated?  My spirits. First Greenie of the year and Co-Expert title in hand I decided that there was plenty of time for yet another fresh pair of gloves and toasty warm hat.  The next 15 dry minutes were great and even the increasingly sideways rain felt good.  I packed up when the rain backed down to a heavy drizzle and my pack felt great with all the extra moisture and duck meat weighing me down.  Here's some pictures and now I'm off to help Clider paint decoys and remind him that his Doctor recommended him to not shoot for 6 weeks.  Bring on the H7HT "Week Of Death" it's going to be great!
GBCH

No comments: