Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My Best Moment, by Bob D.

Where to start?  With so many moments of greatness it's tough to narrow it down to just one.  Could it be the way I push pieces of ice out into the channel to sail off down river?  Is it the time I cut down perfect amounts of grass to refurbish the Point?  Or how about the way I meld old bacon and new bacon technologies together to make exceptional Duck Bites?

All of these pale in comparison to my greatest moment of the trip.  It was the 3rd day of the Tour of Champions and Cliffy and I were sharing a blind at The Point.  The morning had been perfect with all 4 of us being completely set and ready to go at shooting time and a few extra minutes of listening to ducks flying over the blind before the magical time of 6:26  I don't remember who shot first or who shot the most ducks that day, but I do remember who shot best.  It was Bob D.

With the other boys using the left side blind that gave Cliffy and I the right side blind with the better water and best shot on incoming ducks.  Because I hunt The Point all the time I let Cliffy have the right side of our blind and the first shot at anything from that direction.  Imagine my surprise as I watched the lone greenie come in from the right heading our way with his feet down.  Now contemplate my further surprise as I realized Cliffy was either unaware or otherwise unable to take the shot. Then, I did the only thing a superhuman folder and former "Expert" could do.  With lightning speed I shouldered the Benelli and squeezed off a single shot that took that greenie from the sky. 

Greenie had been coming in feet down and, noticing us, had tried to make a hasty getaway.  My shot got him on the upswing and his momentum carried him through the blind and landed him at Cliffy's feet.  I had just landed a bird in the blind at some ones feet!  He reached down and handed over my prize.  No retrieve needed.  My best moment of the trip.
GBCH

No comments: