Monday, December 15, 2014

Same As it Ever Was



Beautiful EH?

After a super long week of feeding and dish washing the only thing I was up for on Sunday was just hanging out on my couch with a bag of peanuts and Irish Coffee's.  Come night time cold and wind arrived, buckets of wind.  I set my alarm to bankers hours, remember there's a gate and it don't open until 6am. During the night I was awakened to wind howling down the 80.  Sleep was at a minimal and every time I awoke I thought it was way to windy to hunt.  The alarm goes off just as I dozed off, wind still seeping through the windows and  the same thoughts are running through my head with visuals of trees breaking and ducks flying upside down. " If it's this windy here imagine what it's like out on the river" I think to myself.  I drag my ass out of bed and check computer for water levels and wind speed in the Gorge.  Water down, wind at a steady 18 mph with 29 mph gusts.  Then the "is it live or is it memorex" day flashes in my head. This might be pretty good if I set up right, now visions of ducks stalled with gear down is in my head and I smile.  

Arrive at the park at a reasonable 6:05.  I'm at my spot, blocks set and a really nice blind built by 7am.  I enjoy the 20 minutes I have before cilling.  Quiet, sun rising over hood and the wind not so bad.  A set of mallards even fly over, "the'll be back" I thought.  Well the only thing that did fly in was a hen mallard, gear down wanting to party.  I put a bead on her then realized she was a she and I pulled off, I'll wait for what I came for.  It was about 8am and she hung out looking real good in the spread for about 20 minutes.  Now I'm second guessing myself.  Should I have taken the easy cill?  If the good  lord Heston givest, shouldn't I taketh? After awhile I convinced my self I did the right thing I don't need to pad my total with hen mallards, I need Canadians!

11am I call it.  It's turned into the typical hunt out on our Old Spot Point.  Blue skies, high wind and no ducks to be seen.  I'm happy with day.  Beautiful sunrise, awesome blind and a great view. And you might find yourself living in a shotgun shack, And you might find yourself in another part of the world. 


GBCH


No comments: