Wednesday, January 07, 2015

A Perfect Day Today Was




Geese Flying Past the Moon
The moon was full and it was bright no headlamp necessary.  The weather was perfect, clear and 38 degrees.  The wind was blowing steady from the east. Water was at a perfect level (6.93). I Found a nice spot on dry land today about a half hour before the bell.  My blocks looked amazing and were dancing in the wind.  I utilized my new camo scrim which helped due to the lack of cover out there.  No I did't slay today, it would have been a good day.  There are a few reasons I suspect.  1. I didn't have any Pintail blocks. C. My cover was the best I could manage but could have been a little better.  7. I should have taken the wind more into consideration as to how the ducks would be approaching my spread.  D. Maybe a few more blocks due to the size of flocks moving would have been helpful as well.

The pre morning fly was strong and full of Mallards.  If I was a poacher I could have had my limit, it was so bright due to the full moon shooting would have been easy.  They were dropping in like relatives at Christmas.  After the morning bell it was just clouds of 30-50 Pintails with a smattering of Mallards, a dozen at a time, and a pinch of Widgeon. I have never seen so many ducks out there before, it was just constant.  Every ten minutes or so there was a new batch.  My interest was peaked the whole morning, never bored, never thinking if was time to call it.   I took a few desperation shots at some Mallards and Canvasbacks, but nothing to show for it.  Yes eventually you have to call it.  The wind stopped and the ducks were rafting out in the middle of the water.  By 11 o'clock I had enough of watching flocks of birds drop into the middle of the water and decided it was time.  Of course you know what that means. 

It was a great day.




No comments: