Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Scouting



Monday I headed out to do some "scouting" because the H7HT Idaho chapter is coming out for Cilling For the King.  It was a mild morning, 42 degrees, with a slight drizzle, and a steady wind from the east.  The water gauge read 5.7 which we now know does not mean a thing.  I get to the gate at an early 5:57 and it's locked.  Same thoughts run through my head, "is someone really going to come out and unlock this at 6 am? Well sure enough Gerry showed up fiddled with the lock for 7 minutes and let me in.  

I have this huge bird sanctuary all to myself, or do I?  I get down to the water and see a headlight, "what the hell?  he must have came in on a boat" I thought.  I wade my way out to him and chat up this boy named Tommy.  Tommy had gotten to the gate at about 5:40 he said and it was locked and he didn't believe anyone would open it. So the young whipper snapper in true H7HT fashion hiked in all the way from the highway.  We chatted a little, how much we come out there , what it has been like, so forth so on, and I tell him about the migration of Pintail I have been seeing out there.  A really nice young man. I move on.  Well Tommy had the only dry spot and I waded my way out further trying to get a decent spot out of shooting range from him.  I found a really nice spot not too deep, perhaps calf high, nice cover, and a nice area to put a good looking spread.  As I was wading into said spot I must have pushed up 3 big sets of Mallard.

Morning bell goes off and said Mallard are dancing.  Tommy my neighbor is a full time caller, only thing is that he's a really good caller.  Tommy takes some shots and it rains on me, "not too bad" I think, "barely a drizzle."  A set of Mallard on my left over my head come in, an almost impossible shot,  I take one anyway to warm the Italian pipe up.  I let loose a 3 1/2 inch McLovin, then I realize it was right toward Tommy.  "Remember not to do that again" I thought.  

Pintail galore is what I think I texted the team.  Again big sets of Pintail swarming me.  3 loners would fly by, circle, then look like they would land and then a huge flock would fly by and they would join them.  Sometimes the huge flock would circle my blocks too.  Just couldn't get them to commit.  Remember Tommy is a full time caller and it seems to be working, so I try to jump in with a solo of my own but my woodwind aint sounding so good.  A couple of Mallard here and there but for the most part it's Pintail and a lot.  Tommy called a set of 4 Mallard in and took a double right out of the sky, "nice shooting Tex" I exclaimed to myself.  

By 10 o'clock my feet were blocks of ice again.  I pack it up and head out, stopping by to congratulate Tommy on his double, he said it was his first ever.  I also apologize about the rain I bestowed upon him as he apologized to me.  In the light I could see his set up; tired looking blocks, a nice makeshift blind, a big ole impossible brown bag for carrying his 15 blocks or so, and an old side by side.  On my way out I was thinking about Tommy how the young man reminded me of two young men that cut their teeth in that very same spot.



No comments: