Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Day Massacre



With Cliffy taking the reins of cooking Thanksgiving Day dinner I thought I may contribute something to stick inside that there bird.  With Lisa back from the doctors and a full tank of go-go juice confidence was high.  Load the truck up and "We are the Champions" is streaming out my speakers, perfect.  Make it to the gate at 5:40 and there are two trucks already in the parking lot.  One person gone and two Mallakas loading up their wagons to pull out with them and a dog.  Before you know it this 48 old man with a 50 pound pack on his back Scooby Doos right past them they have no idea what hit them.  Make it to the water, down a little, and head over to the New New spot.  Set up is a snap with the $1,000,000 million dollar blind (higher properly values here in PDX) already to roll.  The moon is full no need for a headlamp thank goodness since mine died at the house.  I have 20 minutes to settle in and even enough time to sacrifice a pair of wool gloves to the spicy Thai food I enjoyed the night before.  Not even cilling time yet but it's so bright out that people are pulling the trigger 10 minutes before the 6:43 cil time.


Just as the bell went off two mallards fly in and I send one doing cartwheels to the other side of the cove. With the morning fly going off I decided to just leave it and pick it up later.  Many birds flying through, just amazing considering where and when I'm hunting.  Another set of birds come in and I raise the gun and pull the trigger, CLICK! I've been "Willied!"  Meanwhile two Mallakas out on the point on the island are getting more looks than me and pulling the trigger at everything.  Geese way out of range, shit ducks, winging stuff, what a scene.  Every duck that came in was welcomed by 6 shots.  Another set of mallards fly through all hens, nothing to see here, I respectfully let them pass.  A set of tankards come through low on the deck, what better than a duck stuffed in a gooses ass?  CLICK!  "Willied" again.  I may have to take the fire stick to go see Warren, he'll know what to do.  A beautiful morning accompanied by a nice fly.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

P.S.  Got that hen home and started cleaning her and the pasting I envoked on her promoted poop to come out her breast meat.  I have pictures but I'm sure you all are eating a fine dinner. 







No comments: