Thursday, December 31, 2015

I'm on the Big Board........Finally.



Ahhhh, morning.




Sure, I'm not 'The Expert', and sure, I don't have an 8X10 color glossy of me snowboarding, and sure, there were no good mangoes to make duck bites with so I have to use "Bartlett" pears to make my duck bites, but I'm finally on the board with my first Greenie of the year!



What Clider didn't tell you is he had to opt out of hunting yesterday due to a bout of ebola he has.  I went to The Point and after navigating icy roads arrived with plenty of time to set my new Dakota decoys in a fine spread of realism in the channel that wasn't even frozen over in the frigid North Idaho waters.  They looked so good and 'swim' in the moving water that it wasn't long after cil'n time that several divers wanted in.  Then bunches of geese flew long and slow right over The Point. So close I could have thrown a baseball at them.  Then I saw a first for me, a diver came and landed so close that he saw me only at the last second.  I was wearing a white jacket against the snow and the brown of my waders perfectly matched the bank of the channel.  I was invisible.  The diver came in about 3 feet from me and immediately went under while landing.  It was so funny I was laughing as he surfaced and bolted.  Stupid diver.



Again, I was invisible, and I heard movement behind me.  2 greenies were swimming up the channel towards me and my blocks.  I sat perfectly still and waited for them to swim closer but they decided to get out of the water and party on the shore behind me.  My heart racing I waited until I couldn't take it anymore and stood up to give them a chance to fly but the smarmy bastards knew I was H7HT and swam in the other direction.  Even after jumping over the snowy log and giving the old Boogely boogely boo they just swam away.  Bastards.  Not long after I felt a disturbance in the force again and turned to see the greenies swimming around the corner again.  I was prepared to wait them out this time.  As that was going down the unmistakable whistling wing sound alerted me to the greenie landing in my blocks.  He was wary and rightfully so, I stood and dropped him as he tried to get away from me.  Clean 1 shot cil that landed dry and made for an easy retrieve.  I'm eating him in a few minutes.  I can only assume that the sound of my Benelli was enough to make the other greenies behind me skip town.

1X2 of me boarding

After that it dried up quickly and I would have left an hour earlier had it not been so stinking beautiful and peaceful there.  I pulled my blocks and snowshoed back out to the trusty New Black Betty and made it home in time for a fire (in the fireplace) and a thoroughly delicious Rolling Rock while I made my duck bites I will be eating 7 minutes from now.  Happy New Year to all the friends of the greatest hunting team ever created, the H7HT, and as always...

GBCH



1 comment:

Cliffy said...

You may not be the 'expert', but you are the 'champ'! Way to get on the Big Board CHAMP!